Hawaiian fish dump

stylaster

Yeah, best case is someone screwed up and should have known better.

I'm sure this isn't someone who went "fishing" for fun then just decided to toss their catch in the trash can.

I could have been someone who was collecting illegally and then had to dump their catch before getting caught, or could have been (as the article speculates) an accident at a wholesaler.

It's one thing for an individual aquarium owner with 4 or 5 fish to have a pump or heater problem and lose livestock, but an exporter/wholesaler with hundreds of fish in stock should have back-up systems in place to prevent single-point failures from wiping out so many fish. That's bad from a fiscal, environmental, and PR perspective.

(censored)(censored)(censored)(censored)(censored)

I really hope the person(s) get caught and are prosecuted to the fullest.

I am however glad that the authorities where notified and actions are being taken. It’s just sad that all those fished died like this, and for what.

wow is all I can say.. and laying the fish out there on the road to see the amount of damage amazes me.. but who gets to go back and collect the dead fish off the road? hmmm

Think they need to put a limit on how many fish of each type can be collected by collectors to reduce the damage when there is an equipment failure. But to be mad, angry, or whatever is to get out of this hobby. Everyone that has a tank at home contributes to the ocean's well being.

Basically put restrictions or limitations on collectors as they do with fishermen. Until that happens, it'll be disaster after disaster.

• Like 1

wow is all I can say.. and laying the fish out there on the road to see the amount of damage amazes me.. but who gets to go back and collect the dead fish off the road? hmmm

Think they need to put a limit on how many fish of each type can be collected by collectors to reduce the damage when there is an equipment failure. But to be mad, angry, or whatever is to get out of this hobby. Everyone that has a tank at home contributes to the ocean's well being.

Basically put restrictions or limitations on collectors as they do with fishermen. Until that happens, it'll be disaster after disaster.

I agree totally. However I'm sure that an event like this will prompt changes in the current laws. I just hope that the changes are well thought out, and violators will be prosecuted to the fullest.

I apologize if I’m coming across strong or in the wrong way. It just horrifies me to see so many dead fish.

mltnguyen, you are just expressing your feelings. I see this a lot from news like this. It's a shame, but what bothers me more is hobbyist saying they should do things like this. Well, it's a supply and demand issue. We demand, they supply.

It's good these types of problems are exposed in the media or nothing will ever get done. Agree that what ever the outcome is, it will be good for the industry.

Plus, you can't punish the person if there are no rules. Can a police pull you over for speeding if there are no posted speed sign or Driver's Manual that specifies what a deem speed limit is for certain type of roads?

I'm sure if the tidepools along the Oregon coast was not protected, there will be many hobbyist who is willing to try cold water tank, or not.

• 1 month later...

I am in favor of a proposition like this. instead of just outlawing harvest all together they need to manage things by sections. opening and closing harvest areas over time to allow the fish to repopulate. I also like the idea of limiting the harvest on adult breeding fish as a way to protect the population.

I am amazed that they don't have a special permit besides the license to control the amount of people harvesting.

I am in favor of a proposition like this. instead of just outlawing harvest all together they need to manage things by sections. opening and closing harvest areas over time to allow the fish to repopulate. I also like the idea of limiting the harvest on adult breeding fish as a way to protect the population.

I am amazed that they don't have a special permit besides the license to control the amount of people harvesting.

I tend to agree, If you've spent time over there you know the hawaiians feel very strong about their right to fish (no license, limits,etc) and any limits are very much opposed but I think they should seperate "fishing" from collecting for sale, when it comes to reef fish.

If you visit a park in the protected areas you can walk on the rocks to the water and see the Yellow Tangs feeding close in. I dont think anyone (including us evil aquarist) would like to see them disappear, some resonable limits on collecting should be welcome by all.