Controllers-need your advise

reefnjunkie

So I am looking into getting a controller and don't know which ones are better than others as far as functionality, ease of use etc..

I can get a Neptune Aquacontroller 3 w/ PX-1000 expansion module, PH and ORP probe, two temp probes, ethernet cables etc 325.00, it looks like it is around 525.00 new

I see the reefkeeper lite, level 1,2, and 3

also other Neptune lines;

Aqua Controllers Jr

Aqua Controllers III

Aqua Controllers III Pro

Aqua Controllers Apex

A little mind numbing with so many variations.

Can those who have one now or have used them in the past shed any light as to what features are important or, if there is something you don't like about a certain one and would have done something different had you known.

That one I can get seems like a great deal but if it is more than I need I'd rather spend the few dollars on something else.

Thanks for any help/suggestions

I have an ACIII and am very happy with it, I havent used anything else so I cant comment on other brands. I would definetly go with one that has ethernet and software it makes programing much easier.

On the one you're looking you did not list any DC boxes if they are not included you will have to buy them before you can hook up any lights, etc

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=40 has pricing also

i started with an AC jr and absolutely loved it. then i upgraded to the ACIII and immediately realized that everyone should have a controller. with the amount of money we invest in our systems and how easily things can go wrong, a good controller will take care of so many problems. i love that my ACIII will send me an email and a text message during problems or power outtages. that alone is certainly worth the money invested in my ACIII. i also thoroughly enjoy being able to check on my tank from any internet connection in the world and turn things on/off online. im satisfied now with my current controller, but wouldnt mind the upgraded features of the Apex. the apex has a feature that measures electrical usage, which would be nice when calculating electrical costs associated with running lights, pumps, powerheads, etc.

I have an ACIII and am very happy with it, I havent used anything else so I cant comment on other brands. I would definetly go with one that has ethernet and software it makes programing much easier.

On the one you're looking you did not list any DC boxes if they are not included you will have to buy them before you can hook up any lights, etc

http://www.neptunesys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=40 has pricing also

It came with 2 connectors having 8 plugs each, another module that allowed additional probes-I did not catch all that at first, it made it closer to 845.00 if you bought it all new-I let the deal slip by-probably dumb of me, actually it was dumb of me!!

Love my ReefKeeper Elite! I agree with what Jordan says - every reefer should have a controler!

Mark, is the NET module needed to get wireless?

I assume so because of its name "NET" module. If I am going to spend 400.00 it may as well be 500.00. I was looking at the Elite but saw the "NET" module for an extra 100.00.

Plus I don't see that one on eBay under a buy it know, so where as the APEX is 460.00, the Elite w/ NET would be 500+shipping.

I'm 98.21% sure on adding the controller, maybe 98.50%-(nutty)

Good news is I can sell my Marine PP PH Controller and my MPP PH monitor-should get at least 225.00 for them (combined-2 separate sales) on RC-no offense meant PNWMAS-I'll try here 1st but I am a skeptical