If you want an atlantic fish in your tank, BUY IT NOW!

Twitterbait

The cold has killed just about every fish in all the farms in FL. And the reef in the keys hit 60 degrees. There are fish floating everywhere in the keys.

Manatee populations are also being decimated by the cold.

And our tax dollars continue to fund global warming research....

Local temperatures over a brief period of time don't disprove a global warming claim... ;)

puntific

Local temperatures over a brief period of time don't disprove a global warming claim...

puntific

No, but every other piece of scientific data does. At least the data that hasn't been fraudulently manipulated, flat out made up, or conveniently deleted.

Here is a blurb about the weather in the keys sorry no mention of all the dead floating fish or dying manatees

As temperatures start to warm later this week, forecasters warn, don't put the sweaters back in storage.

Another cold front is due to arrive in the Florida Keys by the weekend.

"What's unusual isn't how cold it's been, but how long it's lasting," said Wesley Hovorka, a forecaster at the National Weather Service in Key West.

While it could warm to nearly 70 degrees by midday Friday, the approaching front could knock Saturday's low temperatures into the high 40s again.

Long-range predictions indicate chilly mornings with daily highs around 60 degrees that could last through Jan. 13 -- at least.

"That far out, it could wind up being a little warmer or a little colder," Hovorka said.

A reporting station at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Key Largo showed a low of 42 degrees around 7 a.m. Monday.

At Curry Hammock State Park in the Middle Keys, it hovered around 48. Florida Keys Marathon Airport was marginally warmer at 51 degrees.

Key West's low temperatures Monday were 53 degrees at the airport and the Weather Service office.

Temperatures have been around 15 to 16 degrees below normal, Hovorka said. High-pressure systems have been channeling cold Canadian weather south, sending temperatures in North Florida to the low 20s.

While the chill air has Keys residents bundling up in layers of winter clothing, island visitors still make the rounds in short-sleeves.

"Look at how we're dressed," said Ohio resident William Memmer, nodding toward his son's Hawaiian shirt.

"It's something like 6 degrees back in Cleveland," Memmer said during a Key Largo stop. "We'd rather be here than there."

"We want to go to the beach and [the cold] kind of took that away," added Terese Memmer, "but we're still doing everything else."

Christiana Inman of Jefferson City, Mo., agreed, "This is warm for us. We pushed back a snorkeling trip for a day or so, but we're going to get out on the water before we leave."

Some Upper Keys dive operations reported a few divers backed out of trips, but the boats had enough people to make scheduled reef trips.

"Sometimes it shocks me how many people will still get in the water in weather like this," said Renee Swaidan, a booker for Spirit Snorkeling in Marathon. "But we get a lot of people from much colder places so this doesn't bother them much. They bring wetsuits or get one from us."

Weather stations at the Keys reef show water temperatures around 70 degrees, which is normal for North Florida springs but brisk for the subtropics.

As long as winds stay moderate, offshore fishing trips have not been affected, said Fred Dillon, a crewman on the Key Largo boat Leave It To Beaver.

"Fishing's been good," Dillon said. "During [the Christmas to New Year's week], we were running twice a day. People came to go fishing and they were going to go, whatever the conditions."

College swim teams that spend the holidays working out in local Keys aquatic centers have been somewhat hampered by the cold, said Mark Hill, the former Coral Shores High School swim coach now on the University of Michigan's coaching staff.

"When the [pool] temperature gets down around 73 to 75 degrees, that makes it borderline hard to think about sprint times," Hill said.

While the chill continues, Florida Keys Native Nursery owner Mark Pravata advised residents to keep an eye on their more sensitive plants.

"Water the plants earlier in the day so they get a good soak before it gets dark," Pravata said. "It really hurts when they get dry during the cold."

Potted plants are particularly susceptible to drying out, he said.

"It's a good idea to cover the more sensitive plants, or bring them in if you can," he said.

"global warming" is basically' date=' from what ive read, and i am if someone does prove me wrong, is basically the natural flow of our planetary cycle, same with ice ages and what not.[/quote']

I'm of the mind we should error on the cautious side. I mean yes it will cost jobs in some sectors of the economy but will probably create some in other new areas. But you have to seriously ask yourself, what are the consequences if your wrong and people people continue down the path we are going down now???? Aren't the potential effects so dire that it should prompt some action now while it's still manageable instead of later down the road when the needed action so much more difficult??? You could almost superimpose the whole federal deficit onto the whole debate and just replace the global warming words with federal deficit and carbon dioxide output with overspending and you wouldn't skip a heartbeat. It would probably translate better then some of the manuals that were written in Spanish and then converted to Korean and then to English! LOL

I mean yes it will cost jobs in some sectors of the economy but will probably create some in other new areas.

Well, let's start with your job, and then see how you feel.

Besides, your assumption is flawed. It has been proven that jobs will be lost. There is no reasonable basis to believe that jobs will be created - the net impact will be job reduction.

Given that there is absolutely no evidence that what is being proposed will have any effect whatsoever on global climate - your cavalier position about creating additional unemployment - during a period of already record breaking unemployment - is mystifying. (scratch)

Well, let's start with your job, and then see how you feel.

Besides, your assumption is flawed. It has been proven that jobs will be lost. There is no reasonable basis to believe that jobs will be created - the net impact will be job reduction.

Given that there is absolutely no evidence that what is being proposed will have any effect whatsoever on global climate - your cavalier position about creating additional unemployment - during a period of already record breaking unemployment - is mystifying. (scratch)

I can only hope you don't take my opinion and hold it against me. That's just how I feel and I know everybody has their own opinion and will stick by it. I know losing a job is difficult, heck I went though 2 in the last year and each time it was nerve wrecking. But weighed against the possibility that you have widespread famine due to droughts and other extremes......I just don't believe in damaging my children's future and leaving them with such a legacy.

I really hope you don't think I'm being an a** for stating my opinion and just take it as a differing point of view that can be reasonable and logically debated about. That's always the problems with such sensitive questions. You have some that will just blow up against people that state differing opinions and some that are willing to talk about it in a calm and reasonable manner. I can only hope your the latter :D

thanks for that randy' date=' with no mention of the dead an dying fish and manatees and people still going reef diving, it makes you wonder[/quote']

Yeah I am not sure why he posted that crude. (nutty)(scratch)(nutty)

If he wanted to post a real threat to the Florida reefs its the lion fish invasion now that is a REAL threat to the Florida and all Caribbean reefs.(scary)

Follow the money trail on global warming. A lot of people are getting rich while others will hit billionaire status. Al Gore for one. He invested in this many years ago & will do & say any thing to make the people panic into a carbon taxed disaster.I am not saying the issue should be swept under the rug, I am saying put some truth to the science & lets see if it is really as bad as they say.

I can only hope you don't take my opinion and hold it against me.

No, no - I apologize. I didn't mean to sound snarky.

This is a tough issue - and people believe passionately about it on both sides. I just wish that as a whole, we had a better understanding of the price we are talking about paying to combat an issue which hasn't been scientifically proven, and on which honest debate is being silenced.

To someone else's point - Al Gore is about to become a Billionaire (Source: NY Times) off the back of this issue - all the while he drives in limos, flies in private jets, and has a 10,000 square foot mansion. Really?

Global warming aside it is my opinion that it is wise to limit the contaminants that we pump into our environment. With the prevalence of many diseases on the rise, one wonders what about our environment or our lifestyles may be causing these changes.

While some of the global warming people getting rich off their campaign, I think that it is clear that the biggest polluters, and thus biggest opponents to the campaign are making exponentially more money as a group.

I must also state that fraud has always plagued science, that is part of the reason that institutions that fund research require researchers to consult with review boards. I just woke up so the most recent example I can think of was in reference to cloning. As we are all probably aware this did little to discredit genetic engineer's as a class of scientists. If one were to search for peer reviewed articles on the subject of global warming one would find that a vast majority of the research on the subject supports the theory. Though this is in no way conclusive I think that it important to remember that here in the US whoever spends the most money usually convinces the public, very few of us have the time, or the patience to read scientific journals. They are also prohibitively expensive.

If you are all so passionate about this subject I would love to see some citations of some actual evidence to support your claims. Otherwise it's all just a bunch of whining to me. Global warming or not, I like clean air.

About job loss... I'm getting ready to go to start working on my PhD in I/O psychology. Most consulting firms hire people with this background to give you an idea of what it entails. without getting into too technical I can tell you that some sectors of employment are going to erode regardless of our environmental policies. None the less we expect many industries to have a shortage of employees. The bottom line is our economy is changing and our educational system is failing to prepare people to enter the job market. What it really comes down to is that if your kids want to have jobs, they are going to have to go to school. I know that this is probably offensive to some that are feeling the heat of the recession, but a recession is just temporary and doesn't really have much of an impact on the long term labor market. The real problem for most is that 40% of job growth is in industries that will require at least an associates degree ("Training in Orginizations", Goldstien & Ford, 2002). Manufacturing for the most part is stagnant. I don't have much time now but I'd be happy to get you all some more info in the job market later, I for one find it fascinating.

not even sure why I had anything to say here at all... just like to rock the boat I guess. Maybe I should talk about what the actual post is about? It seems like it's folks who raise freshwater fish in ponds who are having the trouble. shallow bodies of water are much more sensitive to changes in heat, I wouldn't worry to terribly much about our beloved saltwater fish.

We are one small part of the world just by us making these changes and ruining our ecomony will mean nothing as far as a global change is concerned unless the rest of the world commits to the exact same changes as we do, which they are unwilling to do.

China is the worlds largest burner of coal among other pollutants and they have said they will not commit to this.

Until we stop shipping our electrical waste to China so there children can take apart the components, to recycle/reuse them, while being constantly exposed to toxic materials, we have no place to point a finger at them.

We can only take responsibility for ourselves.

Global warming aside it is my opinion that it is wise to limit the contaminants that we pump into our environment.

That's my biggest problem with this Global Warming insanity. We aren't focused on reducing actual polution. Everyone is talking about carbon. Carbon dioxide is 0.004 of the atmosphere, and there is NO scientific data that suggests is does anything to Global warming one way or the other.

But we are spending billions of dollars to control it. What is we spend that money on ACTUAL pollutants!

Not only is Global Warming a fraud, designed to make people rich and generate political power - but it is stealing the focus from actual issues! DOH!

Okay, I'm done. I get too worked up over Global Warming. I'll bow out of the thread now.

Until we stop shipping our electrical waste to China so there children can take apart the components, to recycle/reuse them, while being constantly exposed to toxic materials, we have no place to point a finger at them.

We can only take responsibility for ourselves.

Sure we have to take responsibility for ourselves but in the global scheme of things we can not do it ourselves. It would take every country to do the same thing for it to make a difference. How can we as one small part of the world fix the entirer problem (if there was even a problem to start with)ourselves? It can't be done by one country and unless the rest of the world commits to the same thing as we are then nothing will change except our ecomony for the worse.

Lol, wow.

I didn't go to the news for my info because no news station would say dead or dying fish or face death by firing squad for killing tourism.

My info comes from multiple friends down in florida and the keys including one who works with NOAA. Kinda hard for me to argue with people who have been watching the dead fish floating past their houses.

As far as Global warming... it is amazing how fast any comment in regard to that can take off.