Whats your opinion on sellers who Photoshop

Byrd

Just curious if I am just overly anal or suffer from a case of "Richard Craniumism"

If you found out a seller Photoshops their stuff they sell, "boosts" up the contrast or just alters the photo-(nono), how would that make you feel once you found out he/she did that-(flame)

Granted you don't have to buy from them anymore, but what of all the people that don't know, and if they did, would not buy from that seller.

Curious

i guess it just depends to what degree if the coral looks nothing like the pic even if I have the same lighting I would be contacting the seller looking for a refund and not buying from again in the future..

Knowing me I would also cough the word "photoshop" everytime someone mentioned the vendor from that point on.

If you know for sure there doing it then I could see crying "foul". But I think with these darn new camras now a days it kinda starts right with that.

My little Sony Cybershot make some corals look better then what I see in the tank. I just wish I new more about them to even be able to play with em more.

If they stated that they didn't photoshop and they actually did, then I think that is grounds for waving a flag...otherwise, I think it is buyer beware...

DrMerle

I think unless they state that they DO photoshop (or otherwise edit) their photos, than it is inherently dishonest - not a case of buyer beware. If someone posts a picture and says that "this is what my product looks like" than that is what the item should look like - not an intentional and knowing misrepresentation.

Technically, cropping the picture, and digitally zooming in are altering the picture. So what the difference to use another editing program to better represent the item you are selling?

I agree with those above that say someone shouldn't alter the picture to be misrepresentative of what they selling. But each persons rank is set different, and remember each persons screen is set to the operators specifications. So no matter how hard you try it WILL look different in your tank then it did in ur computer.

I straight out think it is dishonest & shows the charater of the seller. Buyer beware is a odd way to face the problem. Maybe there shoude be a master list with all known pic-cheaters slathered all over the web. Look at ebay & tell me all of those photos are the true thing. Most are yes, but all? nadda

I can set my camera to increase saturation, contrast, and sharpness to get the look out of the lens without editing software. I could technically state I had not altered the picture.

Most people do not know enough about cameras to set there color to neutral before taking a picture, I don't know if this is intentionally deceptive, or just ignorance.

My monitor is calibrated, as is my software. When I post things for sale they are the exact color they are in my tank. If your monitor is off, that is on you, I did my best.

As someone who has been in the professional photography world since 96', and who worked at a lab editing photo's, and who studied print making in school, most of the photo's I have seen in this hobby are altered. If you want to make a list, list the ones who don't, it will be much easier.

I can set my camera to increase saturation, contrast, and sharpness to get the look out of the lens without editing software. I could technically state I had not altered the picture.

Most people do not know enough about cameras to set there color to neutral before taking a picture, I don't know if this is intentionally deceptive, or just ignorance.

My monitor is calibrated, as is my software. When I post things for sale they are the exact color they are in my tank. If your monitor is off, that is on you, I did my best.

As someone who has been in the professional photography world since 96', and who worked at a lab editing photo's, and who studied print making in school, most of the photo's I have seen in this hobby are altered. If you want to make a list, list the ones who don't, it will be much easier.

As usual you make some good points.DOH!

I can set my camera to increase saturation' date=' contrast, and sharpness to get the look out of the lens without editing software. I could technically state I had not altered the picture.

That is exactly what I am talking about, and for a seller to do that is flat out wrong. (flame)

I'm not being technical-I understand cropping is altering-that was not my point.DOH!

Its the deceptive SOB that knows what they are doing is wrong, they jack up the contrast to the point that the coral is popping with vibrancy.(nono)

So you are techniclly getting a "WYSIWYG" because you got the coral pictured, what is not mentioned is "I doctor my photos so that the coral looks better than it actually is. I find this drives up my prices-Happy bidding!!"

So everybodys on the same page, its wrong

I agree-(scratch)

i always used to throw a white plastic ruler next to frags that i sold online, white balanced to that, and then mentioned in my postings that i had done that. never had a complaint when i was up front about it.

i started this after spending around 500.00 on zoa frags from blaine perun and got frags of thing that looked nothing like the photos he took.

I would have to say all depends on what was done to the picture. If it was to enhance the color of corals or fish so they do not represent the actual specimen, then NO.

But if the picture was altered to better represent the specimen then yes. I have multiple digital cameras and each one enhances certain colors under tank lighting. So it all depends on their intention. I'm guessing your problem is stemming from color being enhanced to mis-represent the specimen.

Just curious if I am just overly anal or suffer from a case of "Richard Craniumism"

If you found out a seller Photoshops their stuff they sell, "boosts" up the contrast or just alters the photo-(nono), how would that make you feel once you found out he/she did that-(flame)

Granted you don't have to buy from them anymore, but what of all the people that don't know, and if they did, would not buy from that seller.

Curious

I'm a little surprised to see so much discussion about croping or such. Obviously croping the size of a picture wasn't what was being discussed. I think we all understand the difference between honest and dishonest business practices.

The bottom line is that if I suspected that someone was misrepresenting their product, I wouldn't buy from them any longer. If I knew that someone was doctering their photo's, then I would state that in the feedback forum to make sure others were aware.

However, keep in mind that corals can look very different from tank to tank, for very legitimate reasons; different light spectrums, water conditions, water flow, etc. So, unless you know for sure that the photos were doctured, than I wouldn't risk falsly impuning someone's reputation.

I'd say its the attitude in which they act when ya call them and say the coral received doesn't look like the quality of coral sold. If they are unwilling to cooperate with you and or, admit to either enhancing the photo or using someone else's pic. I have no problem Flaming someone if they intentionally mislead me. I also appreciate the heads up when someone points out a valid mistreatment and or misguidance from a LFS. I do however think that the fish store in question should be able to give it's side of the story before judgment can be made.

It's dishonest - PERIOD (nono) When our hobby makes purchases based on COLOR then to change that color (and they never dull it - right lol) is dishonest. There's an online company that does this to all of their pictures. I got sucked into it before I realized and got a whole delivery of off colored corals. When I told them, they said "oh we're sorry we must have grabbed the wrong ones". I won't post their name but if you look at their site you can see that the white egg crate is suspiciously blue when showing blue corals and pink with pink ones etc.

Since then (that was a couple of years ago) I never purchase corals online - I want to see them in person before I buy.

I'm a little surprised to see so much discussion about croping or such. Obviously croping the size of a picture wasn't what was being discussed. I think we all understand the difference between honest and dishonest business practices.

However, keep in mind that corals can look very different from tank to tank, for very legitimate reasons; different light spectrums, water conditions, water flow, etc. So, unless you know for sure that the photos were doctored, than I wouldn't risk falsely impuning someone's reputation.

It has nothing to do with cropping, its enhancing the photo to make the color more vibrant than it is.

I agree about not ruining a persons rep. As everyone can see I have not mentioned any particular person(s). I've been selling on eBay for years, and I can say that 80% of my tanks livestock have come from sellers online.

Whether its online, here or wherever, my question was really meant as a gauge for see how others feel, I have had people tell me it does not bother them, they know it happens and it is what it is-I tend to disagree (imagine that-(laugh))

I think most realize if a coral looks "to good to be true" there is a strong chance that the photo has had color enhancement.

And that is the only part I have issues with. I think some are reading to far into it, I realize everyone's monitors are set different, peoples vision varies and so and so on....

Its the "altering" of color that is wrong-IMHO

I think it's kinda funny that some of the people expressing the most concerns are people who have bought from the individual I believe this is about. I can say I haven't for several reasons....this being one of them.

Lets not get me in hot water, if I had "proof" other than what I have, believe me I would be tossing the responsible party under the bus a few times. I think you and I may be on the same page, but here in the People's Republic of Portland, you must remember, you are innocent even when proved guilty-(laugh).

Teach me to delete emails huh?