tomato clown laid eggs

talkalot82

So my tomato clown laid eggs again. I have them in a two and half gallon now with no filter just air bubbles. I have rotifers and phyto plex ready to go. What do I need to know? The guy at the pet store told me that he heard that the clowns when they hatch dont like light and they will swim to the bottom. Is that true? also when will I feed them? and how often? also I know they are suppose to hatch when their eyes turn silver. should I have the eggs in darkness or light. is there anything special I need to know now that daddy clown fish isn't around to move water with his fins onto the eggs? I'm ready to learn.

Congrats on the spawning. Hopefully I can help a little. First off if you are serious about trying to raise the babies you need to get the book "clownfishes" by Joyce Wilkerson. I got mine used at Powells books downtown but I have seen it on amazon also. It is absolutely necessary for breeding clowns.

Here are some answers for you.

"So my tomato clown laid eggs again. I have them in a two and half gallon now with no filter just air bubbles. I have rotifers and phyto plex ready to go. What do I need to know?" Everything :) First off a 2-1/2g tank is probably going to be to small. I wouldn't try to raise clowns in anything smaller than a 10g tank. But since you only have a few eggs you can try.

"The guy at the pet store told me that he heard that the clowns when they hatch dont like light and they will swim to the bottom. Is that true?" Yes newly hatched clowns are very sensitive to the light. You will need to black out the sides of the tank and have a low wattage light over the larva for the first couple days.

"also when will I feed them? and how often?" You will feed them right after hatching and will want to keep at least a little bit of phytoplankton in the tanks at all times to keep the rotifers nourished for the clowns. I believe that you want 25 rotifers/ml density but it is difficult to measure. I try to keep the rotifer density so that the fish will not have to swim more than 1-2 body lengths to find a rotifer.

"also I know they are suppose to hatch when their eyes turn silver. should I have the eggs in darkness or light." Yes the eggs will start to turn silver when they are about 2 days from hatching. Usually they hatch in the dark 1-2 hours after the lights turn off.

"is there anything special I need to know now that daddy clown fish isn't around to move water with his fins onto the eggs?" Yes try to leave the eggs as long as possible with the parents. They do a much better job of tending to the eggs. If not try to position them so the current from the air bubbles keeps the eggs moving slightly.

"I'm ready to learn. " Good because there is a lot to learn :)

Good Luck,

Dave