BRS Reactor

Algae

Just installed the Bulk Reef Supply Deluxe Reactor and I am impressed! I wanted to have a fairly high pressure carbon reactor and it fits the bill. They suggest using a 1200 Maxi-Jet. I am using a 900 and getting plenty of flow. The fittings are all quick connect, includes swivel fitting and a ball valve. Just a nice piece! Kind of a modified RO chamber design, but it works well. A lot better than my old Phosban 150.

DSC_0032.jpg

I don't see a downspout in the chamber. How does the water pass through the media?

Thats what I don't like about the BRS reactors...I have never seen one in person, so unless they have a different method of directing the flow through the media I don't see how it can be very efficient...

There is a video on their website where you can see one in action. It is charget with GFO in the bottom and carbon at the top. From what I can get from the video it seems to work as it is supposed to be.

There is a "filter unit" inside the chamber. I suppose the flow is forced to go between the chamber and the external part of this filter. Not sure...

It is somewhere here: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/brs-tv/carbon-gfo-videos

After I saw theres online I went out and dug out a old ro/di I had taken apart but saved the chambers. I dumped out the resin from the reusable cartridge, washed it out and put in two cups of carbon. Its a basic RO chamber, the water flows in around the outside of the cartridge then is forced up thru it and out the top

I'll post a pic if someone wants to see it

Dang, that's cool.

You know, you could hook a pump up to the stock input/output and fill the chamber with sulfur pellets, then tap a few holes for drain, return & bleed and you've got a $40 nitrate reactor. Buy the two-chamber one and put Ca reactor media in the second one and gang them, and you've got a two chamber nitrate reactor for $60. I'm gonna have to try that; it'd be a lot easier than screwing around with CPVC, uniseals and the rest...

Wish I knew about this a day or two ago, just did a BRS order :-(

You got it!

There is the second internal canister that is inside (basic DI repaceable canister). The water flows down between the external and internal and then up through the internal, past the foam blocks, through the media and out the top. It has a nice healthy flow.

Grassi:

I don't see a huge difference between the regular and deluxe. The deluxe has easy moving swivels which is good to flush carbon and ferric oxide fines outside of the sump when changing media.

I bought seperate reactors because I wanted to run my carbon at a higher pressure than my ferric oxide since I've heard of reports that carbon works better at a higher pressure.

Also, I use non-pellatized gfo and need to tumble at a much lower flow. I will be using a smaller Maxi-Jet and and I will likely need to choke back the pump.

After I saw theres online I went out and dug out a old ro/di I had taken apart but saved the chambers. I dumped out the resin from the reusable cartridge, washed it out and put in two cups of carbon. Its a basic RO chamber, the water flows in around the outside of the cartridge then is forced up thru it and out the top

I'll post a pic if someone wants to see it