The Ultimate Seahorse Tank!

nnewhouse

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garrett has a really good success rate on the ones he gets from one of the many wholesalers in L.A. and can get several different ones. Look AMAZING! A+ on taking your time and doing it right the first time. Heather did a great job with the tile. Let her know I have a bathroom she can remodel if she's feeling she needs more tile in her life hahaha!

• 2 months later...

Hey everybody how about an update?

The horses have been in the tank now for over two months and they are doing great. When we first got them they were slow eaters and only from the dish. As weeks went on they started attacking the turkey baster. Now we just dump in the mysis and they chow down.

When my wife first brought up the idea of having a seahorse tank I was skeptical. Now I love it. I had no idea these guys would swim around so much. We have made many adjustments to the flow in the past few months. We first had the closed loop which didn't work (still scratching my head), then one maxi 1200 with a hydor, then 2 maxi 900s, and finally 2 maxi 900s and a koralia 2. They love the flow! You can sit and watch them ride the waves all day long. They swim to the top and jump in front of the koralia and ride it all the way down spinning and twisting upside down. It looks as though it's beating them up but they just go back to the top and do it again. Anyway, enough talk here are some pictures. Enjoy!

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to flip it around. Left side.

IMG_2816.JPG

Right side.

IMG_2822.JPG

Front and center.

IMG_2825.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

That is so sweet! I mean sweet as in awsome and sweet as in I love the video along with the music...:p Gets me to thinking about my little 12g (scratch) Thanks for sharing I love it and tell your wife she did a great job on the tile and the vid :D Oh! and the idea (laugh)

• 3 months later...

Funny story. . . Our sand bed was looking a little crummy so we decided to get a diamond goby. Huge, I mean HUGE mistake! We have sugar sand and within a day our entire tank was covered including the seahorses. They kept looking at us through the glass like "[language filter] Mate?" After several days the cloud settled but everything was still covered. It wiped out our macro, most of the corals, and pissed off the horses. We spent weeks trying to dust the rocks and corals off and finally gave up and let the goby dominate the tank. Weeks then months passed and the tank looked worse and worse until we said "ENOUGH with you mister diamond goby!" There was no way I was going to catch him with a net, so I did some research and found a bottle. I am sure all of you are on the edge of your seats. :) I cut the top quarter of the bottle off inverted it inside the remaining portion and placed some food in it. The bottle slowly filled with water and sunk to the bottom. Within 4 days we caught the little bugger. Woohoo! I never thought a water bottle could be turned into a effective fish trap. I hope you all enjoyed our tale of turmoil, destruction, and ultimate victory.

Man..what can I say...The tank looks WICKED!!! Love the rockwork' date=' the macroalgea in the tank...everything...it really looks like you put alot of work and thought into it and it SHOW!...Really truely an amazing tank...(clap)[/quote']

Thanks a lot for the wonderful comment. I will pass it on to my wife as well.