Major brown-out!

siskiou

Something happened in my 60G cube (almost like a red tide).

Water turned pink, and all sps retreated. Same with the GSP and leather in the tank. I have no idea what triggered this.

I did several waterchanges over the next few days, ran carbon and changed it out twice a day, checked all paramenters (they were fine).

Now, about a week later, all sps have polyp extension again, but everything is browned out, and my purple haze is no more! :(

Any ideas what this could have been?

And will the corals eventually get their color back?

And does anyone have a little piece of purple haze to trade?

hard to say what your problem was, but you did the right thing commencing several water changes.

Ive found that this is simply part of the hobby, at least for me, and you deal with it the best you can and hope it doesnt happen very often. Most corals do come back to color as long as they are not too far gone IME.

Good luck.

That is weird!! Do you have anything in the tank that could have got made and Inked or secreted anything? I've herd that anemones will secreat there color sometimes while pissed off' date=' especially when being caught. Or an apple? Red sea isn't it a bacterial thing?[/quote']

No, the only animals in the tank are snails, and emerald crab, an ocellaris clown and 3 pajama cardinals.

GSP, 2 leathers, red shrooms, and various sps corals.

No anemonies or sea apples.

Maybe it was leather warfare?

Well, my daughter *did* have her 18th birthday party right around that time, and now that I think about it, that was also the day I had something trip the GFCI several times (before the party), but I really don't think the kids (or now adults!) would have done something to the tank.

Not sure if something tripping the power could have set things off.