Made a foam frag holder/backing for 155 Bowfront

huskerduck

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After my previous experience if I try this again the tank will be empty first and I'll figure out a way to put it in where it can't float up. (It took 3 weeks for my rib to heal enough to carry a bucket) Or maybe substitute concrete instead of the foam and then just be patient while it cures. Just need to find a big enough container to cure it in if I do it that way.

After my previous experience if I try this again the tank will be empty first and I'll figure out a way to put it in where it can't float up. (It took 3 weeks for my rib to heal enough to carry a bucket) Or maybe substitute concrete instead of the foam and then just be patient while it cures. Just need to find a big enough container to cure it in if I do it that way.
Were you pushing it down and it shot out and hit your rib? I know I kept thinking to myself, "If you let go, its not gonna be good!"

Huskerduck, I would be interested in doing this in a 24g cube tank in my classroom. I am wondering if you would like to help and then once we have done it together I have another tank I will let the kids do. I am off all next week and we could meet at my school if you don't mind driving to Albany. I live in Salem and I could always drive to your place if that would be more convenient. Thanks for the offer.

Roger

It says on the can that when exposed to ultra-violet the foam will turn brown. To take care of that problem, while the foam is/was wet you sprinkle sand on top of the foam to adhere. Looks more like LR. After the foam has dried, you brush on a coat of epoxy and sprinkle the sand again to protect the foam.

foam-rock-wall.jpg

rock-wall.jpg

My foam/rock wall lots of smaller pieces of LR rubble and medium pieces

It says on the can that when exposed to ultra-violet the foam will turn brown. To take care of that problem, while the foam is/was wet you sprinkle sand on top of the foam to adhere. Looks more like LR. After the foam has dried, you brush on a coat of epoxy and sprinkle the sand again to protect the foam.

Thats a really nice rock wall, I didnt have any rubble so Im trying the coralline explosion

+1 im definitely down for this' date=' who in the local area has a big enough fish room where we could do one of these?[/quote']Find someone who wants a back and Im up!! Figure dimensions and get eggcrate, whoever needs a wall grab som rubble and sand and it could be a PNWMAS project where everyone gets messy.

You cant screw it up, if you do, just break it off

As anyone tried using magnets to hold it in place? I suppose the size of the magnet would be dependent on the size of the rock shelf.

You would need extremely strong magnets. The one I tried would easily hold one or two people out of the water.

Were you pushing it down and it shot out and hit your rib? I know I kept thinking to myself' date=' "If you let go, its not gonna be good!"[/quote']

I was standing on a 5 gallon bucket trying to push it down and find a way to keep it that way. The bucket slipped out and I landed on the edge of the tank catching my rib. Needless to say I gave up at that point and tossed it. It was actually the third try. On the first two trys I hollowed out some of the foam trying to keep it from floating so much. I think the idea Mick had to build it with both a bottom and rear section together would be a good idea along with finding a way to fill it with some sand or concrete. Perhaps filling some pcv tubes with sand and then putting foam around it would be enough. Either way if I do it again it's going to be an empty tank so I'm not fighting just to get it into position.

Find someone who wants a back and Im up!! Figure dimensions and get eggcrate, whoever needs a wall grab som rubble and sand and it could be a PNWMAS project where everyone gets messy.

You cant screw it up, if you do, just break it off

hey, guess what, i can be the first guinea pig, as im in need of a back lol

i volunteer my tank to be the guinea pig tank, as its gonna be a lil bit different than your build, as ive got holes drilled for drain and return lol

Brad

Basically you zip tie some rubble to the egg crate for ledges and caves, spray on the foam, letting it rise. When you've filled in the egg crate go behind it and using wire cutters hollow out the foam - from behind.

Finish off the front with epoxy and sand (arrgonite). the trick is to hollow out all the "mountains" so it won't float so much. Even the shallow parts you can hack out a lot of the foam. I used larger pieces of LR along the bottom and all the rubble I had and had to make some more form LR.

Brandon

It's easy to make a colum, this foam sticks better than aquamend, you'll have to stack some rocks then use the foam for "glue" it works great, I have 3 island in my DT using the foam/glue and it's solid. but if you made a mistake, just rip it off and start over.

When you're ready give me a shout and we'll put something together

A reference post

Zoos are jumping off the rock and attaching to the foam, 4 so far.

I had a monti frag that Kilmca gave me that had turned brownish colored on rock, he has completely turned back too a greenish color again on the foam........co-winky-dink?

the power of foam infusion coral growing, stuffs probably leaching all sorts of goodies, all my LPS exploded the day after and are still staying "puffy"

See now you got me thinking..........

I have a couple cans of black pond spray sitting in my garage from a terrarium build I never did.

I have at least a couple square feet of egg crate sitting out there too.

My tank is a 15 gallon that measures 24x12x12. I could probably gain quite a bit of usable space by adding in shelves to the backing on either side of the overflow.

Hmmm.

Think I could make a couple 8x12 pieces using a single can?