Monti ID's please

jgf86123

hey guys im needing some help id'ing these montis, i like to keep detailed growth records of all of my corals, and i like to be able to put names to em as well lol

sorry for the bad pics, im still in my learning stages when it comes to takin pics of coral

Monti102.jpg

Monti202.jpg

Monti301.jpg

EncrustingMonti02.jpg

thanks in advance

jason' date=' looking at the appleberry you just linked, it looks more like the third pic, with all those ridges, i just havent seen any polyps yet, its still pissed at me[/quote']

Appleberry was my guess on #3 not #1-Stylaster traded me and I got Appleberry as one of them

#4 looks like the superman I got from Westside-those are my votes, pic one and two need more clarity in the photo.

I hate to be a wet blanket, but I don't see how you could identify that frag as a specific "named" coral from the picture. The Appleberry is a $100 frag. I would think you'd know if that's what you were getting.

http://store.atlantisaquarium.net/atl-original-apple-berry-monti-palawenensis-frg028.html

100.00 from them-(laugh) but a 20.00 trade from a member locally-got to love trades-Thanks Roy!!

what can you guys tell me about montis? these were all part of the frag pack i picked up from jon(wegotjs) and ive never kept them before and need to know more about them, flow, feeding, lighting, what not, i have 175w halide, so im not worried, but i am kinda worried about flow

thanks

I've got several - all of the encrusting variety. I've had a lot of luck with mine - been very easy and tolerate a lot of different lighting a flow conditions. One of the easier SPS, in my experience.

I would say they tend to like higher light, and will lose some color in lower lighting. I haven't noticed much difference in different flow areas, but others might have different experiences.

I would keep an eye out for monti-eating nudies. They went around locally a while back.

I think (again, my experience) they tend to be in the middle on carol wars. My Sunset took out about a 1/3 of my Pink Lemonade (acro) frag a while back. So keep an eye on the placement and think about what they might grow into. As will any encrusting coral, they'll keep getting larger.

That's about all I know.

I think (again, my experience) they tend to be in the middle on carol wars. My Sunset took out about a 1/3 of my Pink Lemonade (acro) frag a while back.

Thanks Jason, thats good to know being I have a rainbow that is getting close to my Pink Lemonade. I had another acro that was waiting to get glued fell over and burned a good little spot on that rainbow-all healed up but always learning.

Mick I would google "caring for monti" or something similar, or google the monti in question which usually will ink you to forums or sellers etc that have care instructions.

Overall they seem to be pretty 'Kill" proof, at least in my tank. I did move my Appleberry to middle to low as it did not dig the upper part of the tank.

Got to love Google, almost as much as Fleabay

From the looks, I could almost say what is being called the orange cap could posibly be a denae-could be the orange cap, but still I cant say for certain- the polyps look like it could be a denae

You using a cell phone camera? If you have a digi cam and a tripod that would help (duh-huh?), just need a little more focus-I know its tough sometimes getting a good pic in focus where you need it, at least for me-LOL

# 1 is still tough to make out the colors and polyps, looks sort of like my reverse sunset, yellow base orange polyps-still cant say for sure

green-yellow, orange -purple-they're close-(laugh)

Now I am curious about the orange cap-were you told that is what it is by the person you got it from?

Here is my denae, which like i said, if is tough to tell by the pic, I was focusing more on the polyp-

P1100191.jpg

my orange cap actually has orange, slightly lighter orange, polyps, to go with the darker orange coloring.

is that a superman monti in the background?

so going off the color scheme, what do you think #1 could be? lol cause i have no clue and i love to have detailed records so i can accurately track growth LOL

is that a superman monti in the background?

so going off the color scheme, what do you think #1 could be? lol cause i have no clue and i love to have detailed records so i can accurately track growth LOL

They are both superman montis, one from westside one from TEC. Not sure what #1 is but I bet it will be very cool looking when it grows out.

Try googling montis, montipora, montipors digitata, and so on, maybe you get lucky and find one that looks close.

I swear I have seen something similar in all my searches but I cant recall anything that jumps out.

good luck!