Flushing RO Membrane

USCG CWO

I dont think you can, it would be nice if you could.

Not sure what water system you are on or where they get the water but down here in the boonies we had an algae outbreak in our water supply which is sort of city water pumped around a portion of the Willamette Valley between Amity, Sheridan, Dallas,

The stuff was pretty aggressive on toilets and such where you could physically see it in the tanks and the water was actually warm for 6 months. The guy from Perrydale Water ( thats what its called because thats where the main pumps are) said that it wasnt localized to this water system but a large part of NW Oregon.

Im having the same troubles as you, mine actually runs as advertised and rapidly slows throughout the month, within a month Im making 20 gal a day on a 100 gal per day system

So while reasearching this it seems even with a flush kit you are not acually flushing the membrane. You are just bypassing the restrictor plate and running a larger amount of water through the system.

I guess to possibly dislodge particulate matter caught up in the system. Well I just ordered a new membrane, DI resin and new prefilters. I will bleach my system and then reinstall everything.

I am thinking this is a huge part of my diatom/dino fight right now.

1-2 TDS currently. I refilled both DI cartridges and replaced the prefilters in September. The RO membrane is 15 mo old.

Since September my prefilters are a solid red and the DI went from Blue to pale gold.

It took a year to get to that condition the first time. Anyone else burning through RO/DI filters?

Is the color change on the filters and DI resin an indicator? My resin came already gold colored

The red on the prefilter is all the crap it is taking out, and my resin came from BRS it goes from Brillant Blue to brown when exhausted. So somehow or another I burnt through a years worth of filters in 4 months.

Trust me I am not making that much water. I have a 90 gallon main display and a 40 gallon frag tank. My water bill would be through the roof.

Depending on who you ask, you'll get a variety of opinions on this.

Some folks will change their filters out if they are getting anything above 0 TDS. Some folks don't even use a filter if their tapwater TDS is below a certain level (I have even heard of folks who say under 200 is no prob, but I wouldn't go there).

Personally, I like to be safe so I stick with 0 TDS, but my tap water is pretty clean to begin with, so filters last me a long time.

The pre-filters are there to protect the membrane. Change them every 6-12 mo. Your membrane is rated somewhere between 90-98%, depending on how many GPD your unit is. 100 GPD are usually around 90%. So with a tap water of around 100 TDS, you should have between 2-10 TDS going to the DI section. If you have 10, you will burn up DI 5 times faster than if you have 2. To see of your membrane needs replacing, check to TDS output after the membrane-before the DI. If it is the proper % of the input TDS, you will gain nothing by replacing. If it is high, it is possibly why you are burning through DI and replacing will save your DI.

Ken

Not really.

Your TDS at the tap will be somewhat constant. For Vancouver it is around 100-120, I think. After the pre-filters the number will not change. You will remove sediment and chlorine, but the TDS number is the same. After membrane you will see a 90-98% drop in TDS...need one here. After DI, you should see drop to 0, or close to that...need another here. So two should be enough for your situation.

Ken

• 4 months later...

Just think back to before you had a Ro/Di, I myself used to use tapwater with no real problems. So in the respect I find it hard to see 1-2 tds as being that bad, especially when coming in from my well I am measuring 350+. It is all what you want though.

As far as flushing the membrane goes, do you have this hooked up to a ATO. If you do and you just let that run then you are only getting a steady pressure through and all the junk will build up. What I have done is I installed a shutoff going in to the filter, so that way when my auto top off reservoir is full I can shut it off and the increased pressure when i turn it back on is enough to flush the membranes. Hope this helps.