A Little disappointed in Soutas Saltwater

gwalkerss

I was in there tonight, My wife gave me a $300 budget to buy some new coral. I had read some of the reviews of Soutas Saltwater and it sounded like i should go check them out based on what i had read. I Had to drive Past 4 other fish stores to get there but i thought that i would give it a try. I wanted to buy a few small colonies (4-6 in total) none larger than 6 inches or so in total size. The first 3 that i asked about the price on the guy told me they were not for sale, and that he had some smaller frags 1-1.5 inches that he would sell me. I found this to be very disappointing. I have a 150g tank 1 inch pieces would just get lost. I would have been willing to pay good money, cash for the coral (my wife made me take cash so I would not spend more, don't laugh you have all been there!!)..

I guess in short, I am disappointed in the whole experience there. I was hoping to walk out of there with some coral. When instead I just walked out....(scratch) This does not seem very business conducive to me. (nutty)

If anyone out there has some colonies they would like to part with for cash, please let me know, send me a pic and price

Thanks

G

Soutas is a little pricey but you have to remember that they are not a coral slayer with an in and out the door process. They aquaculture most of their corals and the majority of their stuff is pretty high end. While you don't get huge pieces for cheap, you really have to respect the process.

I like to think that a major rule in running a store period is don't display it if you don't want to sell it, simply because you will leave a customer getting that piece from someone else, this being a perfect example. However when you run in a small shop like theirs you are limited on options.

To be honest with you though you probably didn't bring enough for a colony of most the stuff they sell. IMO

You might try Westside Aquarium' date=' he had some nice colonies last weekend when I was there. I'll PM some pics of a couple I may sell[/quote']

I went and saw Tim today, I picked up an open brain larger then 6" across each way, 2 chalice frags one a pretty good size, 5 heads of dendro, and 14 heads of blasto for $170.

He has a special there this weekend, it is a drive from Gresham but you'll be happy you went.

Also try Pat at SWF he does have a few nice colonies ever once in a while. And if you are in Gresham not to far from you.

But to stay on topic as for Soutas I used to deal with Rick 14 years ago and he was one of only a few. Well lately have tried to go there and they are always closed. At least you got in.

Souta's specializes in frags instead or colonies. Plus if there is a coral you want ask, some are kept out of site, and they may have it. For the quality of the frags and all of them being aqua cultured, I think the price's are good. Prices are much better than they were 5 years ago! and he has more soft corals now than he has carried in the past.

Also try Pat at SWF he does have a few nice colonies ever once in a while. And if you are in Gresham not to far from you.

But to stay on topic as for Soutas I used to deal with Rick 14 years ago and he was one of only a few. Well lately have tried to go there and they are always closed. At least you got in.

Ricky Jr is now running the store and they are back to normal business hours.

Agree on SWF also, bought two nice sps colonies there a couple weeks ago and Patrick always has nice stuff, Upscales for sure!!.

As far as Sousta's hours go its the same as always...Call first or dont go!

I dont have much time in portlane but did manage a few hours this week waiting to pick up family from the airport and stopped by sautas, rose city, and SWF and Patrick was the only one that spent time talking to me, seemed like a great guy nice store LOTS of selection, upscales is next on my list.

I dont have much time in portlane but did manage a few hours this week waiting to pick up family from the airport and stopped by sautas' date=' rose city, and SWF and Patrick was the only one that spent time talking to me, seemed like a great guy nice store LOTS of selection, upscales is next on my list.[/quote']

In Rose City's defense, Nick(the owner) just lost a dear friend and a co-worker very, very recently and I'm sure is still trying to get the shop back to perfect working order. Nick usually is a very informative and personable guy. I've chatted with him many times for much longer then I should have...

As for Soutas, I only went by once and they were closed, even though it was normal business hours. Haven't had any time to go back by since. Heard he has some nice stuff. I'm with you too. I like my pieces larger then frags if I can at all have it. I am impatient and I just don't like to wait to see it grow to that size.

I hope you find what you are looking for! I usually put the money away and wait for the guys on here to support!! I like dealing with all ya'll!!! I have gotten amazing deals and love meeting the people! It's fun to see other peoples systems and beautisciousness! I am sure if you be just a little patient and watch the boards you will find more than you will ever get at the LFS's. Not to say that I don't support the LFS's, I do!! I give them more than here. especially when it comes to dry goods and maintenence items!! Can't really get salt here.....can you? Good Luck buddy!!!

Happy Holidays!!

Clay

as a customer we choose to spend our cash where we like. we allow retail store to profit and stay in business. if we dont like the products or services we also have a right to say so! i imagine if 30 people in 30 days told a retailer i dont think your prices are at market value or you really didnt provide me a great experience and/or have tan corals then guess what? coral prices fall!! just because someone has a ton of oregon torte or any exotic for that matter doesnt mean its available or even worth the price?.

i simply dont shop at soutas any more because its too expensive, never available, not because i "cant" afford it, and its also lousy service when you ask for a price and ricky asks poppa whos 5ft away for the price and they both stress out about if its a good deal or not and if the customer will even buy it?!

yes i have oregon tort, but im gonna stand up and say how my experiences have been because its my right. i hope you all feel the same. especially in times like these, we set the market value, not the retailer.

i shop local too! i rec upscales, saltwater fanta-seas, rose city

and congratulate tim at west side on the newest and very nice addition to our market!

*also tim has started a brand new oregon tort aqua culture program thats gonna have great success! keep up the good work tim! (bill?)

just because a retailer had something excellent to provide once does not mean its gonna last. look at these retail shops starving while another smashes it!

If anyone out there has some colonies they would like to part with for cash, please let me know, send me a pic and price

Thanks

G

Another plug for Saltwater Fantasies-Patrick is not in on Sundays-He has a few new set ups with colonies

I was in there tonight, My wife gave me a $300 budget to buy some new coral. I had read some of the reviews of Soutas Saltwater and it sounded like i should go check them out based on what i had read. I Had to drive Past 4 other fish stores to get there but i thought that i would give it a try. I wanted to buy a few small colonies (4-6 in total) none larger than 6 inches or so in total size. The first 3 that i asked about the price on the guy told me they were not for sale, and that he had some smaller frags 1-1.5 inches that he would sell me. I found this to be very disappointing. I have a 150g tank 1 inch pieces would just get lost. I would have been willing to pay good money, cash for the coral (my wife made me take cash so I would not spend more, don't laugh you have all been there!!)..

I guess in short, I am disappointed in the whole experience there. I was hoping to walk out of there with some coral. When instead I just walked out....(scratch) This does not seem very business conducive to me. (nutty)

Thanks

G

Alright guys. Every story has at least two sides to it, and now it's my turn to tell mine:

Gentleman (origional poster) walks in.

Gentleman looks around.

I ask gentleman if he needs any help or has any questions.

Gentleman responds "Not at the moment."

I go back to work for a while.

Gentleman summons me over for questions.

Gentleman asks me if we are selling a medium/large colony of purple rimmed capricornis.

I ask Rick (Dad) the same question.

The answer is not at this time.

I offer the gentleman a large 1.5-2in frag of this coral at a discounted price.

Gentleman doesn't say anything and seems rather agitated already.

Gentleman then brings me over to large colony of Ponope Birdsnest and asks if it is for sale.

I know for a fact that they aren't for sale but I once again offer a large 1in frag (large for this coral) of this coral to him at a discounted price.

At this point of time the gentleman seems infuriated with me for some reason and literally storms out the building saying out loud "Let's go! Obviously they aren't selling anything!!"

Gentleman slams door out of anger.

This is what really truly happened. I was very polite the whole time, and have no clue what I did to offend him. This is all we have to say on this matter. You can draw your own conclusions from it.

We have not been closed during normal business hours for the past four months. I have posted this several times on the forums, and if you wish to call before coming please do so at least one minute after 12:00pm so that I'm present to answer your calls.

Now has never been a better time to get coral frags from us! Most of our corals are around 50-75% off regular price, and you still get nice big frags as usual.

Not only that but we have the cheapest prices and best overall selection *of chemicals, tanks/stands, frozen food, pumps, salt, light bulbs, books, and many other miscellaneous items that are used in the hobby. I can say for a fact that if you haven't come by our store you are definitely missing out on some fantastic deals. If for some reason a competitor has a lower price than us on anything we will do our best to match/beat the price for you.

In short I'd like to state that this thread seems to have turned into yet another bash on Soutas thread while plugging other stores left and right. It also seems that the same people who have already done this in past are now doing this again on this thread. I would like to see a end to this in a pleasent manner. If you have a problem/complaint with the way our store is run you can come back in to the store and take it up with me. I'm willing to let you honestly know what I think as well and we can work together to solve this problem. Making random and obvious posts that are meant to hurt a business or making snide comments on the side while sitting behind a computer is a very immature behavior and one I'd like to see less of on this respectable forum. We support this club generously every year, and even more this year donating over $350.00 in actual coral to the Christmas Party alone. From what John Manrow has said many companies/sponsors aren't even donating anywhere near as much this year, so we tried to help fill the gap.

That's all I've got say folks! Thanks to anyone who has tried to defend our name in this thread.

Best regards, Ricky Soutas Jr.

- Soutas Saltwater & Reef Inc. -