Quiet HOB overflow?

gradth

Since I used 1 inch pvc this time on my HOB overflow it is loud as heck:eek:. I had that tank up and running for over a year and the skimmer was the only thing I heard.

I remember reading some time back about people quieting them down. ANyone got any tips or hints. Better yet pictures?

Mine started making noise and I just cut back flow a bit. I am using 2-1" flexi-pipes .Seems feather dusters love overflow boxes and these things will restrict flow. In addition/substitution to the Hoffler you could add another bulkhead and hose/pipe of your choice if you wanted higher flow. CPR has a tube that goes in their overflow, but my experience the quieting is marginal, IMO. I also have never used a prefilter in the overflow. I feel it is better to catch debris in a sock in the sump and not restrict the overflow box.

is it the water flowing in or draining out thats making the noise. If you can add another line you could do a Herbie and help with both. With this method you can adjust the water level in the box which would quiet the water flowing in and the drain is silent

In this pic the stand pipe/siphon has a ball valve to adjust the water level then the second durso takes over. I think most including myself are trying to increase flow as much as possible, you could probably double your flow with this method and still keep it quiet

proptank1.jpg

Not sure that my overflow would be big enough.

004.jpg

Pictured on the left.

im gonna try the other one in the morning and see how that does.

just so you know, that is the same overflow I have so I know it will work. I was able to do it all with a dremel it's so easy. it will make a world of difference.

Good I'm glad it worked out well. I was really happy with mine. The skimmer wasn't a result from adding that was it. Did it increase the flow or something???

Well I assume so somehow, since nothing else changed. Not really sure what happened. I have it turned off until I check it all out.

Wellit happened again. Hard to explain. Last time it was obvious the skimmer overflowed, but this time I put a tub down there with my overflow jug in it and while the jug was almost full there was nothing in the tub. THere seems to be some wet spots under where the overflow is, but since I wasnt home and my wife had to clean it up(that always makes the wives happy) im not sure. I pulled the HGB off and put the prefilter back on just to see if that was causing it.

On another note it seems my mag 8(i think) is croaking. Anyone see a problem with replacing a mag 8 pump with a different pump? I have a 650 gph pump I use for water changes laying around?

Wellit happened again. Hard to explain. Last time it was obvious the skimmer overflowed, but this time I put a tub down there with my overflow jug in it and while the jug was almost full there was nothing in the tub. THere seems to be some wet spots under where the overflow is, but since I wasnt home and my wife had to clean it up(that always makes the wives happy) im not sure. I pulled the HGB off and put the prefilter back on just to see if that was causing it.

On another note it seems my mag 8(i think) is croaking. Anyone see a problem with replacing a mag 8 pump with a different pump? I have a 650 gph pump I use for water changes laying around?

it sounds like either you need to make a few more holes in it to let more water in increase the size of the holes or both. I would think that the water would stabilize once it got close to the top of the hob part of the overflow and stop siphoning but maybe not. I don't think this is your problem but mine will overflow if I don't have my return pump turned down. the U pipe can't handle the flow that the pump can push. The hgb has always been able to keep up though...(scratch)

So after all that I think the problem might have been the hose going to my skimmer. after cleaning it out and cleaning the pump I reconnected it and promptly noticed water squirting out where it connects to the skimmer. Hose clamp and all seems well for now. I leave it be with out the gurgle blaster just to make sure nothing else happens for a while.