Need A Fish Trap!!

DennisW

My fish trap also goes by the name of 6 horse shop vac and a piece or two of acrylic. When he goes to his nighttime spot or goes into a hole in the rocks you simply trap him and have someone else man the on-off switch. Shakes em up a little bit but doesnt hurt them.

This is of course if a normal fish trap doesnt work. Dont know where to get one sorry. : )

I have also caught fish with a piece of fishing line and a really small hook with a bait loop tied to it.

Holy Cow! What a great idea flyguy!

I want to remove a few bristleworms (a couple are almost large enough to ride); I could put a 3/4" PVC 'snout' on my shopvac, that should suck them up PDQ... just lure them out with something meaty and flip the switch, slurp!

I haven't heard about great results with fish traps, they don't seem to work too well. A couple of sheets of clear acrylic to corral the fish then net/shopvac :) is probably the best way to go.

LOLOLOL

Another thing to add to that is that i have successfully weaned adult lions...a dwarf and a volitan off of feeders to frozen using the fishing line method. Just partially starve them and then jig a hunk of meat through the tank.......they will eventually eat it. For the first couple of weeks they would nail it and then spit it out....but they eventually kept it down. The dwarf was successfully weaned off of live in a little over a week......the volitan i had to give in twice and give him feeders throughout the process 'cause he hadnt eaten in so long....took about a month total to completely wean him off of live.

Holy Cow! What a great idea flyguy!

I had a rogue 5" sailfin tang that killed two large brains in about 3 days. I had just recently aquascaped in a loaded system and i wasnt about to do it over to get that [language filter] fish out. If you have a loaded system you need to be real careful or you could do some serious damage to corals with the shop vac as you need to use a powerful one.......just have someone else man the switch and it wasnt all that hard............the fish is still alive...just in someone esles tank : )

So.....I guess nobody has a fish trap I can borrow?

Just kidding! Shop vac sounds like a great Idea. How much water does a flick of the switch suck in? I have four of the buggers to get out.

Thanks!

Dennis

My 6 horse can empty out a average size toilet holding tank in about 4 seconds...im not sure how many gallons that is.......5+ anyway i would think............i just trapped him and got the end of the hose within a couple of inches of him and VHWOOOOOMPH!!. Vac was only on for about 2 seconds. I think it kinda depends on the vac you are using but i think it will take at least a 3.5hp+ to get the job done.......

I think it all deoends on just how loaded your system is with corals on how you can get a fish out.....the shop vaqc method works great in a loaded tank (assuming you can trap him in some rocks), becasue you really cant afford to be swinging any nets or bags around without breaking stuff........

Damsels are pretty agressive...i wouldnt be surprised if you could catch them fairly easily with about a size 24-26 fish hook...........

I've had good luck catching fish using clear tuperware, for some reason it doesn't scare them as much as a net. I just slowly corner them and move it slowly from behind and underneath, pushing them to the top of the water. I like my yellow fin damsel, he only picks on a dumb and clueless blue devil and nothing else.

Ron..these are blue fin damsals. Not sure if they are same as yours. They are pretty when they're juviniles but as they mature...they turn black. Not really as attractive but, they eat soft coral so, they gotta go. I have a large colony of Palau, ultra green sinularia that they have been chomping on. This is the sinularia that Upscales was selling for $50 for a small frag. I DO NOT want to loose this coral to a few $4 fish!!

Here's the coral. The colony stays closed now 24/7 due to the little ba$tards!!

NeonGrnSinularia062106b.jpg

Have an idea; if you can keep a Tupperware lid level with free space underneath, maybe use clamps or tie string to 4 corners of the lid and hang in water. (use center bracing or lay a board across the tank) Also tie the sting to top corners of bottom base to keep it level when hanging. Then drill a hole in the center for a fishing line to pass through, hook the end of the line through the bottom center of the main Tupperware.. drill hole and tie knot or tie fishing line to a button or fishing swivel etc. so it won't pull back through the base. See my rudimentary graphics. Place bait in bottom of Tupperware, when fish goes in to munch, slowly pull the fishing line up therefore closing the base Tupperware up into the lid, and there you have it. If this works for someone, please let me know. If my wording is confusing, tell me what isn't clear.

fishtrap1.jpg

And like somebody else said, grab a few cold ones and have an indoor fishing expedition.