Bitricker's 150G bowfront build

Bitricker

It looks like I will be moving within the month so ... I get to start my new build(clap)!!!!!! I was hoping you guys would want to help me with the planning stage. let's start with the pictures shall we.

The Full View:

DSC00098.jpg

and from the front:

DSC00097.jpg

she's pretty dirty but I don't see any obvious scratches. I was wondering what you guys would do. Would you have it drilled and install overflows or just use external overflows? How big should the sump be? I was thinking about using a 400W MH and supplementing w/ T5's since I have them laying around. How much total light would you guys recommend.

I have a stand but I will probably need help making a hood to use the lights I have. I will also need help with the drilling, overflows, and sump. Any offers or recommendations would be appreciated.

I'll get some measurements and a picture or two of the stand in the next day or 2.

Put in a coast to coast OF aka/Calfo overflow and use a OM for water movement.

You can build some islands and bury a Vortex or Korilla in it for more water movement.

Have fun building that bow front stand - actually it's easy to do the bow front.

Use the tank as a pattern, slide a piece of MDF underneath it and then scribe a line down the length of the front of the tank, cut to the line and use this as your caul for bending wood (better to laminate thin pieces 1/8" thick over the form then dry and cut to length)

Is drilling a tank this size pretty safe? If I mess it up there's no way I'm talking the fiance into a new one. The guy I got it from swore up and down that it was acrylic but I've never seen one that had molding on it. All I know is that it was heavy as hell.

I like the Idea of the calflow OF being used as a frag shelf, anyone actually done this?

Is drilling a tank this size pretty safe? If I mess it up there's no way I'm talking the fiance into a new one. The guy I got it from swore up and down that it was acrylic but I've never seen one that had molding on it. All I know is that it was heavy as hell.

I like the Idea of the calflow OF being used as a frag shelf, anyone actually done this?

That tank is definitely glass. Drilling the side or back panel should be fine but the bottom is tempered so don't try to drill that panel.

I just drilled a 55g tank and it was easy. From what i've read it's safer to drill a tank with thicker glass than one with thinner because it's easy to break thin glass while drilling. Just google glass drilling and you'll get plenty of how to videos.

Don't know much about the Calfo OF but they do look nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Captain stoooopid!!

So ...... the bow front build is off. My stupid *** decided to set a halide on of the center brace and .... .... .... you guessed it ... boom. At least the lip held eh. SO if anyone needs a huge sump it would be great for that. Free to anyone w/ the muscle to help me get it out of here. There's a few scratches in the front so it might be OK for a terrarium as well, but it's not worth repairing and using as a display.

now the 125Gal (48x24x30?) build is on instead. I'll start a new thread. Thanks to nick and Tom for the late after hours assistance as well.