Hog Head's 100gal build.

Hog Head

I am just about to get started on my upgrade tank, about 140-150 gal total.

Accumalated equipment so far:

100gal 72x18x18 AGA tank

4 K4's and a Marineland 5500 return pump

CPR CS-90DX HOB overflow

RPS-2000 skimmer with Marineland 1100 feed pump

72" Maristar light fixture with Ushio 250w 10k and Giessmann Actinic+ bulbs

A free stand that isn't quite free anymore

100lbs of Southdown sand

55gal tank for the sump

102 lbs Fiji Tukani LR

20 amp cicuit is wired

75 gpd RO/DI filter

Stand is painted

Sump is built and Overflow is plumbed

I think that is about it. Did I miss anything?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the stand is painted now and I was going to drill for overflows/return but I cannot aford to risk breakage as I was diagnosed with stage 4 Squamous Cell Cancer a couple of weeks ago. I decided to go with a CPR hob overflow and a Marineland 5500 submersible pump. I really want to get it up and running before surgery and treatment so I can relax and watch it grow while I recover. I'll save the Iwaki for the next tank.

Hey hog' date=' first sorry to hear the news, ill be rootin for ya man. Second, I'm willing to bet there's plenty of guys on here who could drill for you, with ni breakagen you won't regret getting it done that's for sure. Good luck man and can't wait to see everything up and going[/quote']

Thanks. Already bought the stuff so maybe on the next one. I doubt the 100 will be in op for more than a couple of years. I'm shooting for the deep 300gal next.

Sorry to hear!!! I'm in your corner too!!! I wish ya lived closer! I would help ya out in a heartbeet! 300 deep' date=' you talking a 6footx 4foot x 2 foot? That would be so awsome!![/quote']

Thanks for the support. The Marineland Deep 300 is 72x36x27. It would be about the max we could have with our current house without having to go out to the garage.

I would season the new rock in a plastic trash can with a powerhead and heater in it. Unless the rock is right out of someones tank but I would still be cautious. That way you have less of a chance of picking up hitchhikers. Good luck with the surgery. There are alot of great people in the Eugene area. Give Miles a holler and see if he knows someone who can drill your tank. It is so much easier to run and more headache free.

I would season the new rock in a plastic trash can with a powerhead and heater in it. Unless the rock is right out of someones tank but I would still be cautious. That way you have less of a chance of picking up hitchhikers. Good luck with the surgery. There are alot of great people in the Eugene area. Give Miles a holler and see if he knows someone who can drill your tank. It is so much easier to run and more headache free.

Thanks. The rock will be ocean direct. I believe they said Fiji Tukani or something like that. It has alot of structure, braches, holes, etc.

dude' date=' you always want to go bigger, especially if the better half allows it, you got a keeper there LOL[/quote']

Kind of what I was thinking. The CPR overflow is still in the box, so it should be an easy return seeing how I will be spending even more with the new tank. Which also means I will be using the Iwaki and I need to find someone who can safely drill a hole in my sump.

What size hole do you need? I've got a couple of bits' date=' but the thing is they take a 1/2" chuck (silly design) and all I've got is 3/8".[/quote']

The inlet/outlet on the pump is 1". What the bulkhead would require I am not sure. I don't have a 1/2" drill corded or cordless either.

dude' date=' you always want to go bigger, especially if the better half allows it, you got a keeper there LOL[/quote']

Well I made the mistake of showing her what the built-in overflows look like and she thought the "2 towers of black plastic were gawd awful ugly". So, I am using what I got. Suppose it's cheaper anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Allot has happened since I posted last. I start chemo on the 18th so I am trying to at least get the tank cycling before then. So, here is what I have accomplished along with a few pics that I finally took. I wired up a dedicated 20amp circuit and I just need to install a GFCI outlet I just bought. My light is hung and the wire has been passed through the wall into the pantry where the ballasts are mounted on the wall. The sump/refugium is built and leak free the first time. Drain side is 4"x14", refugium 12x12x26 and return area is 12x12x18. I thought about making it shallower but with the skimmer and return pump in there I wanted to make sure there would always be plenty of water in there. My live rock just got here, 102 lbs of Fiji Tukani and is now curing. There is allot of cool structure and large openings that is not in any of my other Fiji rock. About all I have left now is plumbing. Today I ordered my RO/DI unit from The Filter Guys, Ocean Reef +1, heaters, refugium mud, Milwaukee PH meter, new timer that will handle the 72" light and a digital thermometer. I hope that is about it.

I also painted the back of the tank with three coats of Sapphire blue and sealed that with two coats of black.

Well with the modification to the stand it seems like a 125 might have been too tall. It would have stood about an inch above the thermostat. Here are some pics.

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=650

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=652

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=653

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=654

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=651

picture.php?albumid=109&pictureid=655

hey' date=' where's the pics? lol hog, good luck with your chemo, if you lived closer id be at your place in a minute helpin ya out lol. what are you using for powerheads?[/quote']

that looks really good man' date=' what are the full dims on that tank again? im feelin lazy an dont wanna go to the front of the thread LOL[/quote']

Firstly, thank you. I appreciate the support and thoughtfulness. I have four Korallia #4's and I will add more if needed. The dims of the tank are 18x18x72. There is about 15.5" of glass in between the plastic framing.