Measures 66 and 67

theJenchild

Taxing an already tight at the belt public is not going to help. We need to tax those who come to Oregon and buy our goods and services with no sales tax attached. It is time Oregon woke up and joined the 21st century. We need a sales tax.

You could be right Bob.....Oregon relies heavily on income taxes which are extremely variable from year to year and difficult to budget upon.

I just feel like these two measures create a more fair taxation system' date=' and not the opposite.[/quote']

I want XYZ. And I vote to make that guy pay for it.

That will never be a "fair" system. There will always be a "that guy". Today, it's easy to target the guy making $125K (not me, btw). Tomorrow, someone that makes $1 less than you will decide that you're the rich one.

When one group can vote for something that does not effect them - and force another group to bear the full burden, that is not a fair taxation system. I fully support a progressive tax - I agree that people that make more can shoulder more of the burden... but not all of it. IMO, no one should be able to vote to implement a tax that the are completely uneffected by - or only receive a benefit from. That is the height of hypocrisy.

Someone earlier compared giving the State of Oregon money to giving it to an irresponsible child. I liken it more to giving money to your drug addicted relative. He knocks at the door and swears he has learned his lesson. He asks you for money to get a warm meal and a room for the night. When you say no, he pleads - he tells you how bad it has been for him, and how he will do better in the future. When you say no, he tells you that you owe him - that his condition is somehow your fault, that you have led a charmed live and that you have an obligation to help. When you say no, he curses you. He calls you selfish, and greedy, and hatefull. But you say no, because you know that the money will just make his problem worse, not better.

Taxing an already tight at the belt public is not going to help. We need to tax those who come to Oregon and buy our goods and services with no sales tax attached. It is time Oregon woke up and joined the 21st century. We need a sales tax.

The only way in hell i would ever allow a sales tax and a big reason it has not passed, is that we would REQUIRE that they rescind the income or property tax (income preferably). they have not budged on that and neither will I. I have no problem with it but i am not paying taxes out of every orifice.

Jen, you mentioned that a portion of your funding comes through the state govt, but didn't say where the rest of it comes from. Is there a charitable organization that people here could give to that would support your continued work?

As others have expressed, I think the work you are doing is very valuable. I spite of that, I won't vote for an increase in taxes because I know that for every $10 more in taxes I pay, only about $1 would get to the people that I would like to help. This is not only because of wasteful projects and practices, but also because of unnecessary, inefficient layers of bureaucracy.

By contrast, I can do my homework on charitable organizations and in many cases out of $10 I give, $8.50 or $9.00 goes to helping people and solving problems. This is a much better way to go about it, and having been exposed to a variety of government-run/managed programs and comparing them to their private sector (non-profit or otherwise) counterparts, I can't understand why anyone wants the government to manage anything at all. (scratch) Keeping law and order, sure, and doing some other things that nobody can do apart from a government role, yes. But our government (both state and federal) is a terribly inefficient and ineffective manager for most kinds of "human services," and there are other groups out there that do a tremendously effective job of serving people in many, many ways. Let's support the folks who are getting it right instead of pouring more money into the black hole.

The only way in hell i would ever allow a sales tax and a big reason it has not passed' date=' is that we would REQUIRE that they rescind the income or property tax (income preferably). they have not budged on that and neither will I. I have no problem with it but i am not paying taxes out of every orifice.[/quote']

Duh, that is a given.