Recirc Pump

Kevman

I am setting up a new 80G, and wondering what would the best size pump for that size tank.... I know it should circulate so many times an hour but I dont remeber how many times...it will have to rise about 45inches to return...

I know its alot to ask, but Im sure one of you guys can rattle off the right answere pretty quicklly... Im getting ready to drill holes in the tank for intake/Return and closed loop.

Please Help.And Thanks PNWMAS

Kevin

I've got a Gen-X 30 on my 48 gallon' date=' which does around 550gph. I am thinking about adding more GPH...I'm thinking 1000 gph would be a better circulation.[/quote']

What size are the drains? Better check that before you increase the flow through the sump. Might be better off to consider either adding power heads or a closed loop system.

I could be wrong but I thought the target amount of flow was around ten times volumn and then the more the better. I'm not sure about the skimmer my euroreef specs say about 250gph. I'm running a Genx 40 and a Mag12 on my 180 with a 1" drain which gives me around 2150 gph less the head

What size are the drains? Better check that before you increase the flow through the sump. Might be better off to consider either adding power heads or a closed loop system.

Rick nailed it here. you need to make sure your drain can handle the flow before you ramp it up. what size drain bulkhead do you have, and does it have a strainer or durso? are you using a HOB overflow?

the bulkhead is 1 1/2", but the return is only 1"...or 3/4" not sure which.

There is a strainer on the inlet.

Is this the outside diameter of the pipe? 1" schedule 80 PCV measures just over 1 3/8" outside diameter. 1 1/2" while not unheard of seems a bit large for a 48 gallon tank.

I read one person uses a mj1200 for their return on a large tank....forgot who though and which site it was on. I'm currently using a 900 gph rated pump on my 125 just for the added flow for a dead spot. If I had good flow in my tank, I would have definitely gone for a 200-300 gph pump.