blue tang ich need help

Gunner52

so today i noticed my blue tang has ich pretty bad but i can not figure out where it came from ive had this tang for about 1 1/2 years and hes been doing great i quarantine all fish before there are introduced to the tank and have had no problems with ich since my first bad out break of it almost two years ago. the most recent additions have been a mandrin goby which went thru quarantine and a fresh water dip before entering the tank about a month ago and i have added some new corals over the last few weeks and a ton of snails last week probably all most 200 of them. can the ich come in with the snails or maybe some corals because niether of them went through a quarantine. so for my next step what do i do try and catch him and treat him or is there something i can add to the tank or let nature take its course?

any input is appreciated thanks

Yes Ick can come on anything IMO... I got my first outbreak after getting some macro algea from a LFS.

I have been treating with Marine max. I dont do what the bottle says, I dump about 4-6 ounces in my tank every three days. Seems to be helping. You can get small bottles as Seahorse, but I have been buying the big ones online from fostersmith.com

Good luck,

Beth

Both my blue's had Ick. I didn't treat the tank or QT. them as they where the first batch of fish. I only kept up my feeding as both are pretty plump. They both came out of it. The live rock and fish came out of the same tank that had been up for several years. I feel it came and was in the water system from that tank.

thanks for the quick replies. I have this stuff called ich attack made by kordon it says its reef safe and is 100% organic but im just nervous about adding stuff like this to my tank. idk should i give it a shot? also i think ill start feeding with garlic again see if that helps.

If I notice some Ich on my fish, if I can catch them and give them a fresh water dip, will that kill the ich?

If so, If I remember correctlly, do I leave them in FW till they are almost dead, or si there a set time?

I have noticed a 1 white spot on my Tang

There are as many opinions on acquisition and treatment as there are reef keepers. Everyone's experience flavors their position. Just look at the already placed posts.

I personally have used and tried every treatment out there. My blue hippo just recovered from a devastating outbreak...he didn't eat for 2 weeks and was blind for a week...at one point he was laying on his side puffing...

I believe your best options are UV sterilization to kill free floating stage, increased feeding variety and possibly garlic extract...

The ich cycle can make many, including myself believe that their new treatment did the trick...if they get better, they would have anyway without the treatment...IMHO

I also believe QT are helpful, but not with ich...too many cracks in the armour...

DrMerle

There are as many opinions on acquisition and treatment as there are reef keepers. Everyone's experience flavors their position. Just look at the already placed posts.

I personally have used and tried every treatment out there. My blue hippo just recovered from a devastating outbreak...he didn't eat for 2 weeks and was blind for a week...at one point he was laying on his side puffing...

I believe your best options are UV sterilization to kill free floating stage, increased feeding variety and possibly garlic extract...

The ich cycle can make many, including myself believe that their new treatment did the trick...if they get better, they would have anyway without the treatment...IMHO

I also believe QT are helpful, but not with ich...too many cracks in the armour...

DrMerle

Be careful with garlic though! Garlic does a good job, but it can also slime coat your whole tank! Make sure that when/if you use it that you watch to make sure that everything isn't one big slime ball. Also slowly lowering salt level will help. It also works like garlic in adding a slime coat. So the fish won't be able to pick the ick back up. This is a slower process though!