Is Selling On RC Always Strange?

Algae

I have some extra T5 ballasts that I don't need so I posted them for sale and noted that they are firm prices and put in shipping costs and the type of payment that I'd accept.

The first reply was that he was interested but wanted to check prices. What? Why even PM me? Check prices and then if you feel it is good do it. If not, don't. I don't need to know your thought process on this even though you might think the world needs to know your reasoning. Unspoken thoughts are a good thing.

The next PM I got was asking me to come way down on price on a low quantity. Real lowballing.

This is the first time I've posted something for sale on RC.

Is this the way it is, usually, at RC?

Not my experiance. I always get someone asking for a lower price or offer less. I have sold everything I have ever listed there, usually things I cant get action here on.

My HOB skimmer will be going there soon.

Good luck w/ what ever you are listing-make sure you have at least a score of "50" in your posts count. The mods will close your listing-LOL

If I want to sell things fast I would lower the price and try to sell it here locally. I dealed with RC and it was very bad experience, the guy gave me and other bunch of BS that he is through a divorce and having problem with paypal so he can't refund the money.... BTW he never ship his product out to anyone of us.

Not all the RC sellers are bad, but once awhile you run into a bad apple. Do you feel secure to send money to someone that you dont know or live 3,000 miles away from you? Remember you are the buyer, you have to send the money before they send out their stuff. Keep it local is the best.

If I want to sell things fast I would lower the price and try to sell it here locally. I dealed with RC and it was very bad experience, the guy gave me and other bunch of BS that he is through a divorce and having problem with paypal so he can't refund the money.... BTW he never ship his product out to anyone of us.

Not all the RC sellers are bad, but once awhile you run into a bad apple. Do you feel secure to send money to someone that you dont know or live 3,000 miles away from you? Remember you are the buyer, you have to send the money before they send out their stuff. Keep it local is the best.

Good point, and thank you by the way for trusting in me to send me that check for that return pump!-If as a buyer you are ever concerned use PayPal, make sure you use your credit card through PayPal so you can always contact your CC company if needed.

Personally I dislike PayPal, with all the sales on Ebay I have those ROTTEN SOB's have taken plenty of money from in the way of fees, Ebay is worse but they are owned by the same folks (Love a monopoly-(flame)) and neither one is on the side of the sellers-Those people have their heads buried!!

(backtotopic)

Sometimes local cant work-smaller target group

Good point, and thank you by the way for trusting in me to send me that check for that return pump!-If as a buyer you are ever concerned use PayPal, make sure you use your credit card through PayPal so you can always contact your CC company if needed.

Personally I dislike PayPal, with all the sales on Ebay I have those ROTTEN SOB's have taken plenty of money from in the way of fees, Ebay is worse but they are owned by the same folks (Love a monopoly-(flame)) and neither one is on the side of the sellers-Those people have their heads buried!!

(backtotopic)

Sometimes local cant work-smaller target group

I totally concur on the ebay paypal thing. On the otherside of the coing, they do own the market and have no reason to lower/eliminate double charging since no one else is doing what they do or is as trusted. It sucks.

As for selling on RC. I have mixed feelings. I most always sell my item(s) but you definatley have to deal with low ballers and people that back out or say they will do something and don't. I guess its a risk that I choose to take in some circumstances and not in others.

Garrett

I found it easiest to sell on RC when I lived in So Cal. I don't even bother posting stuff up there anymore after I moved. Only things I post up there are things like my Duncan's, mostly because there are a lot more people on there that can afford them. It's a numbers game at that point. But I have always found RC to be a bit critical and rude at times.

I've sold over 100 items on RC, never an issue for me. You do get lowballers, but that happens here too.

RC is nice if you live in So Cal, I sold 5 tanks, 2 stands, 3 light fixtures, over 150# of LR, return pumps, some powerheads, 20+ corals, plus misc items in a half hour once.

Paid for my trip to Portland

I've sold over 100 items on RC, never an issue for me. You do get lowballers, but that happens here too.

RC is nice if you live in So Cal, I sold 5 tanks, 2 stands, 3 light fixtures, over 150# of LR, return pumps, some powerheads, 20+ corals, plus misc items in a half hour once.

Paid for my trip to Portland

I had a similar experience....plus I bought a bunch of stuff at the same time.

I bought a remora pro skimmer that arrived smashed where thr injector tube entered the skimmer. I got no justice from him or ups who said it was a poor packing job. I actually think the guy just sent me a broken skimmer knowing I would try and blame ups. I should probably not think the worst of people....I do this all the time and am struggling with this.

Jay

Has anyone tryed selling anything on CL? Talk about flakes and lowballers!

yea I know what you mean... I also have been on the other end. Tried to buy some wheels that were well used and he wanted full retail still. I asked him if he was willing to come down at all since they had visible defects on them and he freaked out on me. He tried lying to me about the real retail price, and hung up on me when I told him I actually called the manufacturer, who told me the MSRP. He was just trying to get every penny back even though he used them. I just needed some winter wheels though and they should have been cheap...

I agree about RC...big pain. CL has been pretty good to me, I just don't hold things for people unless I get a good vibe from them. I think part of the problem with any online buying forum is that you don't have a name to a face. So someone may agree to buy something on impulse and then re-think it, they have to vested interest in keeping their word.

On another note what does everyone think of having a bi-annual reef garage sale, bring your cash and extra equipment and make some deals face to face.