WTS Snowflake Eel

Rick

Need to reduce the bioload a little (Too many big eaters) so I'm selling my Snowflake Eel to cut back a little. It's about 14" long and get's along with my 2 red fire shrimp, crabs, and snails. It will eat slower small fish if it has a chance to though. I'm asking $30 for it or will consider equivalent in corals (Preferably LPS).

attachment.php?attachmentid=6486&stc=1&d=1258254655

post-5811-141867779469_thumb.jpg

Just to give a little more info here. These guys can be reef safe if fed enough. I had a 24" one for a long time. He left even small fish alone. He learned slowly that feedings always happened in the same spot around the same time. Any other fish I put in was put in at a different time and on the other side of the tank. While feeding once he grabbed my blue tang and released him immediately when he figured out it wasn't the food for him. If you have a reef, don't discard this guy, they are a great addition...(rock2)

Just to give a little more info here. These guys can be reef safe if fed enough. I had a 24" one for a long time. He left even small fish alone. He learned slowly that feedings always happened in the same spot around the same time. Any other fish I put in was put in at a different time and on the other side of the tank. While feeding once he grabbed my blue tang and released him immediately when he figured out it wasn't the food for him. If you have a reef' date=' don't discard this guy, they are a great addition...(rock2)[/quote']

So your saying I should offer trade for him(scratch)

Need to reduce the bioload a little (Too many big eaters) so I'm selling my Snowflake Eel to cut back a little. It's about 14" long and get's along with my 2 red fire shrimp, crabs, and snails. It will eat slower small fish if it has a chance to though. I'm asking $30 for it or will consider equivalent in corals (Preferably LPS).

attachment.php?attachmentid=6486&stc=1&d=1258254655

Looks like the Halmedia is doing good in that tank Rick. Cool looking water snake man

Jay

Looks like the Halmedia is doing good in that tank Rick. Cool looking water snake man

Jay

This pic is from my old 40g tank. I've seen a couple of small pieces of Halimeda in the new tank but not much in there anymore. Alkalinity dropped too low when the calcium went up to 600.

What are you seeing from the increased bio-load that makes you want to get rid of it?

I think I finally have a grip on the other params now but still struggling to keep nitrates down where I want them (I'm really close but not quite there). Consider though that I have the Snowflake Eel, A Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, A Niger Trigger, and a Purple Tang in the same tank. (It wasn't intended that way but ended up that way after I decided to take down the 40g tank) I figure I need to get at least one of the big eaters out of the tank and this is the only one that I'm not going to have to go to battle with the family over.

I think I finally have a grip on the other params now but still struggling to keep nitrates down where I want them (I'm really close but not quite there). Consider though that I have the Snowflake Eel' date=' A Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, A Niger Trigger, and a Purple Tang in the same tank. (It wasn't intended that way but ended up that way after I decided to take down the 40g tank) I figure I need to get at least one of the big eaters out of the tank and this is the only one that I'm not going to have to go to battle with the family over.[/quote']

I have been singing this song ever since I ran across it and figure I would toss this out there.

I added Purigen by Seachem into a micron bag that floats in my sumps return sock. Purigen removes disolved organics before it can be converted to Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

I had NO3 levels at 20-25 consistently and that was feeding every other day or every third day to keep those levels low.

Since adding the purigen over 2 months ago ( at least), I feed daily (sometimes 2x) as much as I want, I add phyto feast, roto feast, oyster feast, cyclopeze, pellets, mysis etc and I changed my water when I feel guilty-last changed was about 6 weeks-I dose for trace elements as well as keep other params were they are needed.

Anyway long story short it is the purigen that has my NO3 at less than .01ppm-

FYI

I have been singing this song ever since I ran across it and figure I would toss this out there.

I added Purigen by Seachem into a micron bag that floats in my sumps return sock. Purigen removes disolved organics before it can be converted to Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate.

I had NO3 levels at 20-25 consistently and that was feeding every other day or every third day to keep those levels low.

Since adding the purigen over 2 months ago ( at least), I feed daily (sometimes 2x) as much as I want, I add phyto feast, roto feast, oyster feast, cyclopeze, pellets, mysis etc and I changed my water when I feel guilty-last changed was about 6 weeks-I dose for trace elements as well as keep other params were they are needed.

Anyway long story short it is the purigen that has my NO3 at less than .01ppm-

FYI

I use Purigen as well which helped a lot but it is still not quite where I want it.

I use Purigen as well which helped a lot but it is still not quite where I want it.

Whoa-:eek:

Could you increase the amount, could it be expired, depleted, is in an area that it is getting good "filtration" through it???

Very odd, I would double or triple up on the dose if you have not.

Just a guess-(scratch)

Whoa-:eek:

Could you increase the amount, could it be expired, depleted, is in an area that it is getting good "filtration" through it???

Very odd, I would double or triple up on the dose if you have not.

Just a guess-(scratch)

I could increase the amount, it isn't expired. I keep it in the overflow behind my growout tank so it filters all of the water through it. I have 2 packets, each are supposed to be good for 100g. (I figure my total water volume is 180g to 190g) I've had the Purigen for about a month and am currently regenerating it for the second time. (Soaking out the bleach right now)

I could increase the amount' date=' it isn't expired. I keep it in the overflow behind my growout tank so it filters all of the water through it. I have 2 packets, each are supposed to be good for 100g. (I figure my total water volume is 180g to 190g) I've had the Purigen for about a month and am currently regenerating it for the second time. (Soaking out the bleach right now)[/quote']

I bought the bottle so I dont have the packets, but I bet I have at least twice the amount they recommend in that filter sock.

I have not regenerated it yet, I got a little nervous when I read "bleach", I figured I would mess something up so I will most likely not regenerate it-Not sure yet, I am on the same amount I started with a few months ago.

I read it will turn brown as it is getting close to being expired-not sure

My be worth adding more before getting rid of something you like-

Good luck with what ever path you take!

Time to get to the "honey do list"

Normally I feed my Lionfish krill which is the slowest eater once every day or two and it usually grabs some before it gets to it. I also occasionally feed it raw shrimp or bay scallops. Since it grabs food before I can feed it to the Lionfish I normally don't give it anything extra. Prior to this I fed it once every few days.

I feed rods food to the fish so I assume it gets some of that. I was told to feed it a silverside no less than once a month and that it doesn't need fed that often. When I have dropped a silverside next to its cave it always eats it right down. I wonder if I need to feed more? I dont want it to grow too fast though as its in a 34g solana :)