does hard pvc raise water temp

tom_c55

I would have to agree with Nick. I use mag pumps as well and haven't had any problems with the temps. I did have a problem with a Little Giant pump raising the temps but at that time I didn't have any elbows at all in the return. Now I have 4. One just after the outlet, another at the entrance to the tank, and 2 more to route the outlets to the front of the tank (I actually have two 45's in it as well). Just be sure the plumbing is sized properly. I use 3/4" with about 750 GPH on my mag 9.5 for the return which then splits out to two 1/2" pipes. (My drains are 1")

its a little giant 1200 gph it looks like 1/2 inch pvc to me maybe that is the problem i bought it and it was already plumbed its got 6 elbows i believe

I think 1/2" is too small for 1200 GPH. If it's easy to change the plumbing then I would change it to 3/4". (I actually run 3/4" on my mag 18 closed loop also and it stays cool)

I think 1/2" is too small for 1200 GPH. If it's easy to change the plumbing then I would change it to 3/4". (I actually run 3/4" on my mag 18 closed loop also and it stays cool)

1200 gph is 20 gpm. 1/2", 3/4" and 1" are really on the small side for that flow rate without having lots of head loss. Sure you can run it, but your really shooting yourself in the foot by reducing flow. Run a larger line and then reduce where it goes into the tank and watch how much flow you gain.

Ill scan some flow charts tomorrow so you guys can see TDH friction losses of various size piping.

20gpm thru 1" is ok if your runs are very short.

I'm not completely sure how motor loading goes on magdrive pumps, but centrifigal style pumps will pull a higher amp load on higher flow rates, if you restrict the pump with small tubing it would lower the amperage draw. Put a amp meter or kw meter on your pump and the watch what happens when you run the pump in your sump with no hose attached.

Actually, restricting the output of a centrifugal pump makes it use less energy. Imagine the output completely closed off, all the pump is doing is spinning the water around in the pump chamber. Once it is up to speed, it take relatively little energy to keep it going. Compare that to a pump with the output open, it constantly has to accelerate the incoming water as it replaces the water that is pumped out.

1200 gph is 20 gpm. 1/2", 3/4" and 1" are really on the small side for that flow rate without having lots of head loss. Sure you can run it, but your really shooting yourself in the foot by reducing flow. Run a larger line and then reduce where it goes into the tank and watch how much flow you gain.

Ill scan some flow charts tomorrow so you guys can see TDH friction losses of various size piping.

20gpm thru 1" is ok if your runs are very short.

I'm not completely sure how motor loading goes on magdrive pumps, but centrifigal style pumps will pull a higher amp load on higher flow rates, if you restrict the pump with small tubing it would lower the amperage draw. Put a amp meter or kw meter on your pump and the watch what happens when you run the pump in your sump with no hose attached.

I forgot about the short run when I mentioned the closed loop on mine. I have the pump mounted next to the drain and return making it about 18" total.