Tangs You Very Much

Ronjunior

I've been wanting to get a tang and researching for one that is easy to keep, but attractive and doesn't have a movie character named after it. I thought a Nano, but a 125g long seems a bit small for their large 18" size. I wanted a Powder Brown, but research shows they often don't last over 3 months and don't want that. I'm thinking a White Faced Tang (Acanthurus japonicus) would be good or what I think is pretty and Wife says is gorgeous, is the Red Sea Sailfin Tang (Zebrasoma desjardini). Anyone have experience with the last two and know of their character in the aquarium; do they swim around a lot or just hide like my dwarf angels? I know Waves is getting a bunch of Hawaiin tangs in at a good price, but I want to make sure I get one that I want, rather that what's in since they don't cohabitate well with other tangs....however, it is tempting with the sale prices. Maybe someone else has these fish coming in around PDX.

Guest Mbeef61

im still gonna have to recommend the naso...blonde to be exact...my favorite fish in the sea....other than that they are all good...look into the tomini tang....they are gorgeous as well...i love my sailfin as well and would recommend them to anyone as well. both very very active...ever thought of rabbitfish to accompany him/ they mix well together

Yeah, I love the Naso. The Chevron is pretty cool looking too. A Foxface Rabbitfish looks cute. Anyone put more than one tang in the same aquarium without troubles? I have 2 dwarf angelfish, a Coral Beauty and adopted a Lemonpeel that needed a home and they get along pretty well. I would like to adopt more fish that need a home, but I'd like to at least pick out 1 tang; there are so many to choose from unless some can cohabitate.

I have an Indo-Pacific Sailfin tang and a Pacific Blue tang in the same tank, they spar a lot but make for an interesting display.

Hey Ron. Shouldn't you slow down a little with the adding of livestock to such a new reef tank.

Don't forget the golden rule of reef keeping, the only things that happen fast in a reef tank are bad things.

Yeah, I know, I'm not adding too many at a time. Holding off on doing any stony corals for some time. Population is small; 2 dwarf angels, 2 small damsels, 1 clown, Lawnmower blemmy, 1 coral shrimp and a few crabs/snails. Remember it's an old old tank; I brought back about 70% of the water with me and about 200 lbs of live rock that was kept under water so there hasn't really been any system shock/troubles. Everything still looks good, has no detection of ammonia nor nitrites and it's been setup in my home for about 4 weeks. I redid the sandbed around 2 1/2 weeks ago and no changes other than the diatom bloom...but I have a good idea of what caused the start of that. Figured also a tang would help the angels eat up the ugly brown algae as well.

I hear everyone say that about the desjardini......the nice part

I got a rogue one a while back that ripped apart two brains in as many days.........

He was the fish that instigated my figuring out the 6 horse shop vac method of erradicating bad fish safely from a loaded reef tank

Fish lived. A couple of superficial scratches but he is still alive and well...in somebody ELSES tank

i just trapped him in a spot in the rock with several small pieces of acrylic.....moved a few corals that were in danger and had my wife operate the on/off switch

that vac can empty out a toilet bowl in a coupla seconds so it is defintely a two person job in a loaded tank.....

(scratch)

Fish lived. A couple of superficial scratches but he is still alive and well...in somebody ELSES tank

i just trapped him in a spot in the rock with several small pieces of acrylic.....moved a few corals that were in danger and had my wife operate the on/off switch

that vac can empty out a toilet bowl in a coupla seconds so it is defintely a two person job in a loaded tank.....

I suppose an easier way on the fish if there is a next time, would be to put a fishing net next to the cave and use a vacuum to suck him into the net without sucking him up the tube.

Well, I hit waves at 1:00 last night and ended up with a Naso and a Kole tang. Pretty cool fish and the wife agrees. She loves the lipstick, which comes her new name of Sugarlips. Maybe if I dare, get a Red Sea Sailfin down the road. Sorry Nu2Reefn, thats 2, I can hear your teeth gritting already :( :)