New to the community...

Bitricker

I recently aquired a "free" 55 gallon saltwater setup off of craigs list. So far m tank has been doing very well, tho I must admit I may have purchased a bleached Sebae that my be my frist casualty. It's eating tho so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Anyhow as you can immagine my "free" tank has sucked up quite a bit of money so far, so I've decided that I may as well just go for it and upgrade. I was thinking of going with somthing in the 150+ gallon range. probably I will keep the 55g to use as a frag tank at some point and convert the 20g freshwater tank I have to a QT.

I've pretty much read the entire DIY section, but I currently have no garage (terrible isn't it) so it is of limited value. If anyone is feeling charitable w/ thier time/space or equipment please let me know. I do have some money to spend, I'm just a seeker of fabulous deals. Anyhow I look forward to meeting you all.

thanks to the volunteer at Rose City that pointed me to the group.

Welcome. While many use their garage not all of us do. I keep my tanks in the front room where we can enjoy them all of the time. I have to admit though that they tend to distract me from watching the TV. First decide what you have available for the footprint where you want the tank and then you can get a good idea of what will fit there. I.E. If you only have a 4 foot space then you can get a 180 gallon tank that is only 2 foot front to back but it will be very tall (36") which can be challenging to supply enough light (150g would be 30" tall). The extra height also requires quite thick glass which increases the initial cost substantially. (For a 4 foot space I like the dimensions of a 120g) If you can put a 6 foot tank in instead then you can add substantially more volume and still keep the height around 24" (6x2x2 is 180 gallons). You might find a better deal as well since the longer tanks are not selling as fast.

a 6ft 180G is what we were planning on initially. It's really just a matter of what we find a good deal on. I actually supposed to go look at a 250g 8ft setup over the weekend. Might be a bit much tho. So far as the garage goes it's rather difficult to build things in the living room ... lol. The tank goes inside for sure!