Moderate Reef Setup 60 gal. hex.

Palani

Now that I'm moving I need to down size. I've decided to do a 60 gal hex with ritteri and carpet anenomes. It's going to be a semi-aggresive tank with 5 damsels, a pseudochromis, a pair of clownfish, a flame hawk, my secretive wrasse, potter's angel and maybe some large gobies. It is going to be a full reef with a large coral banded shrimp (I'm sure he can hold his own) and LPS, SPS, and some softies. I decided on this tank because I needed a new scenery. 95% of reef tanks are rectangular (and for good reasons too). But I want to try something different (just like my black sand that I tried). I will be making a rock structure mostly out of large pieces of Tonga branching LR that will go about 80-90 per cent of the height of the tank. I'll have out croppings that will house stangs for the damsels. As for lighting I was thinking about a 250watt de MH because of the depth. I think they are about 30" deep. I'll have a sump of some sort. I'm not exactly sure what size will fit in there. I was wondering of some type of skimmer I could use that does at least a 100 gallons. I like the becket type of skimmer, but could also try like a aqua remora HOB type or something else.

Please let me know what you think, may it be good or bad, or maybe some better ideas. The thing is that I want to try this hex tank. I've seen an example 35 hex. that my friend has and that has inspired me to do this one.

For what its worth, ive heard that large hex tanks are more prone to leaks/rupture than standard tanks. I had a 35 gal hex and thought it was pretty cool except it was dificult to find good lighting.

PS. that anecdotal evidence is via Roger, so take it with a grain of salt.

yep they are the same (unless he is using a non-standard name for another species.

i would be concerned with the bio load if you are going to try to do sps in that as well. that many fish, those big anemones sloughing mucus... even with a big skimmer you are going to have slow growing, relatively brown corals i imagine. in all honesty, that fish list i would feel uncomfortable with in a 120 simply on the nutrient import side.

any chance you want to do a corner tank? those can be very impressive as well, and are easier to light and create flow in, and they are not as common, not as rare as a hex, but not everywhere for sure.

my other concern would be with carpets in that small of a footprint. they tend to wander all over, unless you were planning on keeping nothing in the bottom 1/4 of the tank, you are likely going to have some warring.

it would be an impressive tank for sure, if you go ahead with it i want photos, i am just concerned that after the 6 month mark you are going to be dissapointed with growth and coloration, unless those are not issues for you.

All of the fish will not be any bigger than 3 inches, except the clowns. Oh yeah, FYI my secretive/dissapearing wrasse jumped out my my qt tank today. Sad day. I don't know why they misnamed such an interesting wrasse. It was not secretive what so ever.

As for the Carpet I was wanting it to have the whole floor to itself.

I have been thinking about this tank and was also thinking about doing an Oceanic cube tank or some cube around 30-60 gallons as well. Maybe I can put my sps in there.

Man that sucks about your wrasse! A cube would be cool. I love the look of cubes. It wil get a cube when I break down my 75. A Aqua C should work good from what ive heard. Im gonna try out a PM HOT+1 on my 20. I got a good price on it so I thought I would try it out. If money is no prob look at the Deltec MCE600. It seems to be a nice unit. Anyway, Later Ryan