Casters

tom_c55

My first tank had a stand with castors. I took them off before I filled the tank as it would be impossible to fix without draining the water if one ever broke. Just something to keep in mind. Even a small 55 gallon tank will weigh around 600 lbs. My current display (125g) with sump and refugium weighs around a ton which would require some really heavy duty castors. (I would want some rated for at least 1200 lbs. each before I would even think about it) Also keep in mind they will require a very flat surface to roll across with that much weight.

I used sticky back felt strips on my 210g tank. I definately wasn't going to attempt casters but I wanted some way to kind of slide the tank when it was empty and also add some buffering between my hard wood floors and my wood stand. Castors are scary IMO but I have seen them used. Always go way overkill if you are goint to use some. Also remember that all of the weight of your aquarium will be applied to the small spots where teh casters touch the floor. I think it would be best to distribute the weight through as many even pionts of contact that you could.

I think the biggest problem is that you are changing the structure of the stand. Instead of holding in all the places it would normally it is only supported under the wheels. Could potentially cause damage to the stand. You could build a base with wheels, like a Dollie. Wheels are the easy part, just look on ebay, I got some there for my water change bucket dolly, very strong and the diameter is big enough that you can easily roll over most things.

Best of luck