DIY Kalk Reactor

grassi

Looks good...my first DIY reactor project was square as well...a square calcium reactor. It worked great(too good in fact), my tank was just too small to take advantage of it... :(

I get my gasket material from A-Boy Plumbing on Terwilliger across from Fred Meyers. Its 1/8" thick rubber. It comes in 6"x6" sheets for $2.99. Its on the first plumbing aisle where all the toilet plumbing accessories are on the bottom shelf. It works great to seal flat surfaces.

Looks good...my first DIY reactor project was square as well...a square calcium reactor. It worked great(too good in fact), my tank was just too small to take advantage of it... :(

I get my gasket material from A-Boy Plumbing on Terwilliger across from Fred Meyers. Its 1/8" thick rubber. It comes in 6"x6" sheets for $2.99. Its on the first plumbing aisle where all the toilet plumbing accessories are on the bottom shelf. It works great to seal flat surfaces.

Good to know! Ive been wondering whare to get some small piece of rubber for gaskets.

Thanks for the advice Frank. I'm gonna setup the test like this:

Dosing pump>reactor>sump. The pressure should be minimal inside the chamber.

For now I'm gonna use an aqualifter with a barb valve before the reactor.

In december I will be back in Italy and a client of mine will give me a few peristaltic pump to test (they use them for milking equipment).

stylaster, I'm gonna start the test in a few hours as soon as the pvc cement is ready, I will post some pics :-)

Ryan, thanks a lot for the hint... I'm using a temporary gasket for now, but I will check out A-Boy Plumbing. It is alway difficult to find good sources for gaskets, o-rings and materials in general.

I'm very happy about this diy. Almost free and it was fun to built it :-)

The square shape is not used a lot for reactors and skimmers, I think mostly because of the cost of producing it vs buying large quantity of acrilyc tubes.

The amount of media a square shape can hold is way more than a cylinder. Nice for short stands like mine.

Next project is gonna be a square ca reactor :-))

This project started just for fun, but to be honest it could be a good idea to sell some units.

I would like to finance one project I have in mind (a cheap Reef controller based on Arduino Duemilanove).

I would buy something like this. It wasn't available so I made it.

Problem is that building a square one is cheap if you do it yourself: it requires more time than a cylinder shaped one. You have to cut, glue, test...

The materials itself are not more than $40 + pump ($14 new). But there are at least 3 hours of work.

Now I'm gonna test it for a few days connected to the tank and see what modifications are needed. There are always :-)

Then maybe I will make a few more, same size for now. It is about 2 gallons, so is good for most of the tanks in the 55-120 I think.

Alex

So I got about 10 pm's and emails in a few hours.... To all of you, I need to know the average daily evaporation. This is the first important data. The reactor should match that first.

Then I need to know the free space you have in your stand.

Taller is the better, but I know it is critical.

reactor

What's your total volume in gallons?

12''x10''x10'' is good....

I'm thinking about a 7''x7''x10''. It is about 2 gallons...

49g corner with a Eheim pro 2 ( 2 gallons ) so, 51 ish. Evap= roughly 2 gals every 3 days. I am topping off 1-1.5 inch evap using a 5 gallon water jug and guessing the aount. I can get precise over the next week if it will help. Thanks for q's

Newfisher, the 10'' in height is your maximum space?

We need to leave you some room for hands so you can open the lid and put the kalk...

It could be 6x6x10 if you have some room on the top for maintenance or

8x8x8 with a pvc spray bar, so all the calk will be mixed (the elbow is probably not enought tp cover that surface).

Also I would use a 90 elbow fitting on the top flange to save more space.

Let me know