DIY Kalk Reactor

grassi

Looks good and it is working great, thanks.

I've found them at Lowe's. I'm looking to find a place where there is more choice, like some black ones, or different kind of nuts. I mean, somewhere locally.

Btw, thanks again for the gen-x and your frag tank overflow is amazing :-)

Alex

Sure we can Clay. I'm gonna start to build my ca reactor soon.

I really like the design and performances of DJ'88 square Ca reactor (http://www.melevsreef.com/dj88.html). I friend of mine in Europe is running something similar and seems to work really well.

I have a few ideas about how to make it working better, especially in the Venturi side.

How do you keep your ca level up at now?

Can we make a CA REACTOR FOR ME? I need one for my 240!!

Clay

I was using purple+ too... with a 240g it is gonna be really expensive!

Do you have a lot of room inside your stand?

Purple up. but I only have a 100 gallon right now. So I figured it would be a better deal if i put a ca reactor on my new 240.

I would really appreciate it!! What can I do to help?

Clay

Looks good and it is working great, thanks.

I've found them at Lowe's. I'm looking to find a place where there is more choice, like some black ones, or different kind of nuts. I mean, somewhere locally.

Btw, thanks again for the gen-x and your frag tank overflow is amazing :-)

Alex

Great build!!, I'll be all over this when I get home (vacation). Are you going to run both?. I might try the Kalk first to help maintain Ph and see if it keeps the calcium up enough. I'm using Kent Turbo Calcium right now in the garage set ups (have Cal/Kalk in the main) It will maintain levels Ok but wont raise it at all and then it slowly falls over weeks

Yes, I'm gonna run both. I would like to run them with a ph monitor/controller.

I used to run kalk, gravity dripping from a jug, and it was was working well (chemically speaking).

I was just tired to make it every day and also knowing that it was working well only for the first hour or two (then the oxidation was making it pretty much unuseful).

I think that the ca reactor is a little bit too much for my setup at now (for water volume and bioload), but I'm gonna build it to have it ready when needed :-)

Okay, Here is a question. Kalk forms a layer on the bottom and top, even after an hour or so. The residue in the top layer is pushed out when the dosing pump is started. Isn't that kind of self defeating? What I am wondering is if it might be benificial to weld a 1/2" X 1" acrylic tube on the inside of the top plate that goes to the output tube? This way the very top of the kalk wiould not be dosed?

Nice setup Frank! I read your diy post some days ago :)

How do you feed the reactor?

Algae, this is what I was thinking too...

I've looked at many designs before to build mine.

My main concern was to not having air inside. About the layers, the one on the bottom stay there so no problem. Being square shaped there will be some encrusting at the corners that can be removed every once in a while, as part of maintenance.

I was reading a guy using a similar setup cleaning it every 2 or 3 months.

The 1/4 threaded fitting on the top flange is inside the reactor a little bit deeper than the white layer. Just enough to not allowing the milky top layer to be sucked in.

I was waiting for the layer to be sucked, so I was gonna glue a rigid tube... but seems it is not necessary :-)

Roy's Reactor

I just finished Roy's reactor. It is ready for the leak test.

It is way bigger than mine. I changed the pump "neck" making it a little shorter and it should work better.

I also changed the flange design, moving the bolts (now 8) more outside.

The white acrylic looks nice :-)

post-5689-141867749592_thumb.jpg

post-5689-141867749595_thumb.jpg

post-5689-141867749598_thumb.jpg