PC Networking fun

impur

Ok got a riddle here i cannot figure out.

At my work we have our little network. Its all hard wired in the walls and all the outlets lead to a closet with our modem/routers etc.

The office is split into 2 sides. My side works fine no matter what. No problems.

On the other side we have a room with 3 computers plugged into a small router, which is plugged into the wall. There are 5 other rooms with computers that all plug into their respective wall jack. Now the odd part - one computer, a 1999 Gateway that barely runs takes down the entire network if it is not turned on. If you shut down the computer, the entire network is unusable. It does not matter where this computer is on the network. I've moved it to 4 different spots. If it is off, the network will not work. BUT ONLY ON THIS SIDE OF THE OFFICE IS THE NETWORK AFFECTED. The computer is not setup any differently than the rest, I set them all up.

What gives??? This computer can barely browse the internet but all connections go thru it? I just cannot figure it out for the life of me.

I need to figure this out because this computer is ready to crash, then our network will be unusable.

Ideas?

It might not be compairing apples to apples but here is a little info. My friends and I while in HS would meet up once in a while and connect via lan to play games on a group server that we connected to the internet. We would take one spare computer and set it up as a server and connect it to the internet also. We actually split this computer so we could still use it like normal and run the server too. When this one crashed everyone that didn't have a wireless card would also be down. Because we had to connect the server first, even though the others were connected in a different port they still went down do to this one 'running the show'. Sounds like you have an issue like that going on.

If you really can't figure it out call Eric. This is his job and I know he is always looking for side work. Maybe a little far but for the right help:)

Without knowing the details of your network topology it's difficult to say. My first guess would be that the old Gateway is the master browser on your network' date=' which is why network issues happen when that computer is offline.[/quote']

this is kinda along the lines of what I was trying to get across. Our server computer ran the whole show as far as network settings were concerned. whether we set it up like that or it was just like that by default I don't know. By that pc controlling the rest even in an indirect way means it has some sort of ultimate network control. I would really talk to Eric and let him remote into it for you to take a look. It could be something really simple that you just missed because it was that easy...

As Roy indicated that computer is probably handing out the ip addresses to the rest of the computers. Check the IP address on it and see if it is both permanent and is set to 192.168.0.1. This is what is most often used for the gateway address and is generally what system the others will look for when they need their address updated. I.E. This one probably is set permanently to the address above instead of being set to automatically get an address from the router. The router itself is probably set to another address such as 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.0. (Both are fairly common when trying to shift away from the common address most often used) Either way be sure the router is set to 192.168.0.1 (unless the rest of the systems are looking for another address) and be sure the system in question doesn't have a permanent address set.

I would ask to define what you mean by taking the network down. Are the other machines completely unusable? A couple comments on previous posts. If that machine were the master browser, your network would still function, but it would be slower as the network would either be trying to re-elect another master browser, populate itself and the other machines would be broadcasting their information in the mean time. If the gateway was the DHCP server then it would not give out any additional addresses, but the machines that already received addresses should still work as long as they addresses didn't reach 100% of their lease life. Typically 8 days is a normal lease life. Having said this I would try to unplug the old Gateway from the network. I would be curious as to what OS it is running and is it just one of the PC's or does it play a server role. Also, you stated that you have routers in the network which doesn't really make sense considering the size of the network you are describing. Are these switches or hubs possibly?

Some are WinXP some are Vista. The old gateway is XP

When i take down the old comp, the rest of the computers cannot access the network at all. This applies if all of them are on, or only 1.

Some background: We previously only had 1 side of this office. We had 5 computers including this old gateway networked with no problems. The old gateway could be off and all the computers had no problem accessing the network. All computers connected to a 5port switch which then connected to the cable modem. The other side was occupied and had no problem with their network. They moved out leaving the router in the closet. We set the router back to default settings, installed the modem in the closet, moved this old computer over to the new side of the office and now there is this problem. But it only affects that side of the office. My side still functions as it did from day 1 with that computer over here.

This old gateway is setup to acquire a dynamic ip from the ISP each time it connects. I believe they are all setup this way.

There is a 10port switch on my side of the office, a 5port switch on the other side in the room with the 3 computers. The rest are plugged into their respective ethernet jacks in the walls. These jacks lead to the closet that houses the router, modem and our phone system.

Thanks for the offer Eric, if i get some time i may give you a ring. No need for you to head down here but thanks again for the offer.

Ok i was just messing around with that pc and i was wrong. It is setup to use a specified IP address. I tried changing it to let it obtain an IP automatically and it will not connect.

All the XP machines are setup with static IPs, the Vista machines, which are all new since we expanded to the other side, are all setup to obtain IP automatically.

So Roy and Rick you were on the right track there. You too snowpunk!! ;)

I'm trying now to connect to the router so I can make appropriate changes but I don't know what the address is for it!! (laugh) i didn't setup the router so.......

hmmm

Try the 3 addresses I posted. They are the most common ones used. What kind of router is it? You said it was reset to default correct? If so then you can go to the website for it and find out for sure what the default IP and the default login settings are. (Be sure to change the admin login password when your in there if it is set to the default) Note: If another system has the same ip address permanently assigned to it (which may be the case with the gateway) then it could prevent you from accessing it. Rebooting the router may get it back on the network if it was conflicting with the old computer.

Thanks Rick, yah i tried all those address with no luck. Its a D-link 16 port router. I'm trying to track down the manual but the website is a good idea i'll go there today.

Thanks again.

In case it helps: My Dlink is http://192.168.0.1, I don't recall the default login for it offhand though. If you have a system that is accessing the Internet through the router you could open a dos box and do a tracert to find out what the address is. That will not help with the default login though.

As Roy indicated that computer is probably handing out the ip addresses to the rest of the computers. Check the IP address on it and see if it is both permanent and is set to 192.168.0.1. This is what is most often used for the gateway address and is generally what system the others will look for when they need their address updated. I.E. This one probably is set permanently to the address above instead of being set to automatically get an address from the router. The router itself is probably set to another address such as 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.0. (Both are fairly common when trying to shift away from the common address most often used) Either way be sure the router is set to 192.168.0.1 (unless the rest of the systems are looking for another address) and be sure the system in question doesn't have a permanent address set.

192.168.1.0 is also popular.... you could run a tracert to it as well.... simple way to get it

Thanks Rick, yah i tried all those address with no luck. Its a D-link 16 port router. I'm trying to track down the manual but the website is a good idea i'll go there today.

Thanks again.

Are you trying to access a router or switch? I don't think D-Link made a 16 port router.

If you are trying to access the router, go on a PC that has an active Internet connection. Press the start button, click "run", type "cmd" (wouthout quotes) and press enter. Then type "ipconfig" (without quotes) and press enter. It should list your IP configuration. The default gateway listed is the IP address of your router.

HTH

Well it only takes down half the network when the gateway is off.

Not sure what you mean by inside network?

Inside network would be all of the systems in the office. Outside would be the Internet. Your reply leads me to believe you are not really using the inside network for much. (Sharing files or connecting to a central data server would be two common uses) If half of your Internet is staying up when this system is shut down then either there is a router somewhere or one of the other systems is also acting as the gateway.

How many systems are there on this? I would be giving serious thought to a router with a hardware based firewall. I run one here and I normally don't have any more than about 6 systems running. I just like the extra layer of protection. (In a regular office situation I would consider it a requirement)