Calcium reactor....to make or to buy? which brand?

Guest Mbeef61

Guest Mbeef61

i am now on the market for a calcium reactor for my tank...you can also keep in mind this is a WTB thread, as i am looking for pretty much any and all parts for a reactor...right now i have a 100 gallon (about 150 total system) dominated by sps and soon to be clams.

dosing is getting out of control as it is a daily affair and is costly in both money and time. and i cant imagine constantly fluctuating levels are good for my corals.

my first biggest question is this: should i make or buy a reactor. buying a complete ready to plug in reactor seems to crazily priced...so im assuming piecing it together is the better option but then you get into compatibility issues with equipment. right now im in the 4th year of college and am working 25-30 hours/week also at my lfs so i dont have to much time to fool around with making a reactor and i dont really know the quirks to having one and knowing what to put where and WHY it goes there, so i think it would take me forever to come up with something that didnt serve the purpose to the best of its ability. but i am pretty tool savy and like the DIY jobs i just want to see the feasibility.

does anyone reading this feel like taking up a project???? let me know!

if not what are the best brands....i think i could piece together a co2 tank, regulator and selinoid, so i would just need a reactor and pump etc.

does anyone know of any good sites that help with setting up a reactor and the principles behind them? thanks

Guest Mbeef61

i think i can get a decent deal on a coralife reactor...a new one...but i havent heard of these being used much? are they cheezy? anyone with experience with them?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=587186

I built this one. Here is mine

P8160340.jpg

Cost me about 250-300 for everything including regulator and tank. I had the pH controller already on my AC Jr. Its been running for about 2 months and my corals have never looked better or grown faster. Simple to make and is working great on purely SPS tanks up to about 125gal

Guest Mbeef61

impur....can you expand on the plans to the reactor...what you used...where you got it...etc....and i still dont exactly understand what exactly a reactor needs...and like flow rates...and pipepathways...because im sure i can build one better suited to my needs of the stand and tank than buying one.

also is anyone interested in building me one....i know rich...h20cooled...has made some nice looking ones...but i know he said he was done for now...i know how that goes...

also is anyone interested in building me one....i know rich...h20cooled...has made some nice looking ones...but i know he said he was done for now...i know how that goes...

I have one of his that i never have used. Bought it a few months ago......i already have a korallin for my sps tank and i decided just to keep dosing my lps/softy tank. Pm me if interested

impur....can you expand on the plans to the reactor...what you used...where you got it...etc....and i still dont exactly understand what exactly a reactor needs...and like flow rates...and pipepathways...because im sure i can build one better suited to my needs of the stand and tank than buying one.

Check out the thread i linked above my pic. It will answer every question you have.