so I reworked another skimmer

reef165

I got a 44 inch tall beckett skimmer from Izzypop for doing some work for him. It was in a couple pieces and some of the flanges were broke but the replacements were there. Like always I didnt get pics of what it looked like but if youd ever been over to his place youd prob. seen it. I got it all rebuilt ready to sell thinking that I could pos. get enouph money to get a return pump but quickly realised after getting online here and elswhare that these things arnt selling or getting any money and it is WAY to big for my tank and stand so I decided to rework it into something I could ues on my tank ( 40 breeder ) For a while now Ive been looking at airstone ( limewood ) driven skimmers http://www.hawkfish.org/snailman/skimmer101.htm So I decided now with what I got would be a great time to give it a go! Like I said I didnt get any pics of it befor I started working on it but I kinda stacked it up to look like what it did. Ill let the pics do the rest of the talking.

post-110-141867778694_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867778696_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867778697_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867778699_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867778701_thumb.jpg

now for the finnished product, I ended up putting 6 airstones in the 6 inch tube, the pics are of me useing 3 wood defusers and 3 CHEEP stones and I must say going to be WAY overkill on a 40 breeder but hey plan ahead for bigger right!

I did a 5 gallon water change on my 16 gallon cube so I could do a test with salt water and the pics are of only 2 or 3 min of operation.

post-110-141867748453_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867748455_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867748457_thumb.jpg

post-110-141867748458_thumb.jpg

post-110-14186774846_thumb.jpg

The air pump I am using is a Maxima made by Hagen, its a 2 outlet pump, as airpumps go its ok but once my tank is up and running I do plan on getting an adjustable, more powerfull pump.

I am very impressed on how well it preformed on the test and how quickly the foam turned dark on top!

I do have a question for the masses! Whare should I put the inlet water? I was thinking eather from the top, through the lid of the cup spraying strait down or from the side about 2 inches down from the mounting flange of the cup.