RTN sucks =(

vanz

:( It happened on my nice green with purple tip birdsnest I picked up from Frank...it was growing quite well too...

One of my monti is also coming down with it, but not as rapid. BN died within 12 hours, and fragging off the dead parts didn't help. :(

I've just been dosing two part and that's it, haven't done a water change for a few weeks. I tested some parameters, and nitrates, ammonia, nitrite showed 0. I also tested alk, and it was around 7.4, I know, still need to bump it up. I just hope my other sps doesn't fall to it. I know RTN can happen randomly even in well established tanks....kinda the trade off I guess to keeping sps.

Bummer, I bought an awesome pink birdsnest from Bob a few months ago which was doing fine for a month or so and then turned white overnight. It made me shy away from any SPS entirely for awhile. (No more birdsnest yet but I'm slowly trying a few SPS frags)

Pretty much yes... Although there is a lot of debate on the cause, it seems to be pretty random and can spread within SPS.

I had it once and it took a frag and most of a large colony. I was able to save a decent frag by breaking it off above the RTN and attaching it to a frag plug in a different tank... scary

is there anything you can do to prevent this?

Only if you can determine the cause. With some of the ones I lost I still don't know what happened (That 4" BN colony for instance) however for some of them I'm pretty sure they were being picked at by the Jewel Damsel since there is a marked change in the SPS since I removed it. Funny that the supposed problem(caution) fish (Coral Beauty Angel, Purple Tang, and Niger Trigger) have not been a problem but the supposedly reef safe one was.

I recommend keeping your Iodine levels up but even still it happens I just have seen if RTN'ing parts are fraged away they seem to be able to heal ware as before when Iodine wasnt monotered they didnt but it happenes to me as well but mainly in my large colony's then it seems to stop but I did just lose all but a inch frag of my foot tall ORA Cali tort:(

Is it true with Birds nest that if you touch the ends it will die off too. Sluffs off' date=' turns white etc. Mabey you moved against it?[/quote']

Hmm..never heard of that, but I didn't touch it prior to it RTNing on me. I moved it only to frag, and yes I did grab it by the tips.

+1 reefboy

I think iodine can play a big role in RTN. Just a feeling. I started dosing some iodine everytime I introduce a new coral or after I frag and it seems to work well.

I just pour some purple up which contains some iodine in the critical moments.

About fragging, I think it is a good practice to let the new frags sit in a saltwater solution rich of iodine for a few minutes.

Alex