Not to start a brawl but....dare I say it......Garf

nwcoralfarm

Hey there

I was just wanting to know if anyone has ever tried the Garf method on a zoanthid tank. Meaning flourescent lighting and a completely unskimmed tank. I just recently set one up just like on their webpage, kind of like a science experiment. I will throw some pics of it up soon but wanted to know if anyone has ever tried this and what their opinion on it might be.

I have not setup one like it but I have followed the site for many years and have had just as many conversations with Leroy. From the pictures and conversations I have had I wouldn't hesitate to try it if that's what I was after.or anything else they have done(Bullet proof systems) I learned most of my fragging practices from him.

I am not sure what the Garf method is but I have a heavy bioload with plentiful feeding in my 65 gal tank -mostly large polyp stony and soft coral. For months my small skimmer wasn't working ( I am not much of a mechanical tinkerer) I am surprised at how healthy my tank is. I have adjusted the skimmer more regularly but it still just collects skum slowly. ( I hate it when the slight adjustment causes fast fill up and overflow). Anyway because of my biologic tinkering tendencies I have several biologic filtration experiments connected to my system. I am not promoting what I have done I just did it and would change some things next time but is interesting how well my system seems to run. I have a 15 gallon above tank refusium with off brand miracle mud and sand 1.5" bed with macro algae. My show tank has a 2" coral sand bed with light to medium water flow. Then here's the potentially embarrassing part, my sump has a plenum/aragonite bed under all of the equipment. The equipment is sitting on a raised egg crate platform. I have a korallia pump circulating the water in the sump to keep detritus moving. I usually lay low on this forum and try to glean knowledge from others. I do like to hear of other peoples experimentation and experiences.

Pics

Okay so here are some rough pics of my "unfinished" project. So as you can see I have a sqwd hooked up to save from needing a powerhead. I currently have a skimmer on it to help clear up the water before I load it up.

I took an old refugium I bought off of Craigslist and modified it a little bit to work for this. Eventually I will be running into a filter sock. The water then runs either into the refugium or into the plenum underneath the egg crate. I will be running a compact flo light over the refuge at night and will have t5's running over the tank during the day.

As I said, this is just an experiment to replicate the GARF zoanthid tank. To see if the lack of skimming, the type of lighting and flow, as well as overall setup will increase the growth of Zoos like they say it does.

post-5934-14186774817_thumb.jpg

post-5934-141867748173_thumb.jpg

post-5934-141867748176_thumb.jpg

I know you said t5', but how many of what size? It is a bit hard to tell what the scale is by your pics. What is the total capacity of your new system? I'm interested to see your results. I have a small (29g) tank, skimmerless, at my office right now. It seems to be growing zoos pretty well, but I guess that's a relative statement.

I know you said t5'' date=' but how many of what size? It is a bit hard to tell what the scale is by your pics. What is the total capacity of your new system? I'm interested to see your results. I have a small (29g) tank, skimmerless, at my office right now. It seems to be growing zoos pretty well, but I guess that's a relative statement.[/quote']

Well on the website they are using VHO's, but I would like to keep my zoo's a little deeper in the tank and know that t5's have better penetration. I will probably be running 4 high output 4 footers. I haven't decided what color spectrum to run yet. I have some more reading to do before I finally decide.

• 3 weeks later...