My QT set up with pics

gopens

well as some may remember, after losing my fish, I have decided to set up a Q-tank. I have included some pics. I am looking for ideas to see if I am on the right path. I am also going to add some pvc pieces. but other than the pvc, this is what I have to work with.

The aquarium is a 20 gallon high. I was looking for the long version, but there were none in my small town. I am also running a basic over the back filter. The heater is a cheap ol' 100 watt. one thing i am concerned about it the lack of water movement. should i go buy one of those little water pumps or do i need a spendy power head. I have seen some set ups that only had the over the back filter, and that was all for water movement.

Here is the pic of my set up

DSCN0408.jpg

now here is a pic of the isert that came with the filter. It has been in my sump from my main tank for a few days now. I have been told to put this insert in the filter when i am ready to Q some fish. Will this filter insert collect enough "goodies" to seed my tank with the right stuff.

DSCN0409.jpg

Now the next pic is going to show how stupid I am in this hobby. I am not sure what it really is because I tossed the box. But it is a insert just like the above. Accept one side has a white looking filter annd the other side has some small black pellet looking things inside the filter. do I need to use this

DSCN0410.jpg

well thanks for any help. If everything looks good, I will be purchasing a 2-3 clowns this weekend and using my new Q-tank.

thanks for the comments. is that carbon filter good to have. i am only going to do a hyposalinity (sp) for 4-6 weeks in the QT. so no meds, unless i need to, that i will pull out the filter. also, should i go with a small power head. if so, what you recommen as far as gph. thanks

If your not going to medicate, I'd also try to feed them some garlic. It helps boost their immune system. You can either crush up some garlic and then use the juice to soak their food in, or I just use the food processer to chop it up REALLY fine, and feed it to them with their food. I'd add a powerhead to my tank, maybe just a 100gph or maybe 200 gph.

ya know, i never thought of doing another hob filter. that sounds like a good idea, plus i would be able to put to filter inserts from my main sump for extra bacteria. but than again, a power head might do the job as well. i am not medicating, unless i have to. what i am going to do is a hyposalinaty for 4-6 weeks. i hope this works. this will give my main tank 4-6 more weeks to cycle.

how low are you going to go with hypo? what kind of fish are you treating?

i am treating 2 very small percs. i am slowely taking it down to .009. i will be lowering the level over the next week or so. i have heard of people lowering it within 8 hours. but i have also heard to do about .001-.002 a day. whats your thoughts. thanks