I found this info on RC take a look

CCR

I switched salt about 6 weeks ago and used the same guide in making my choice. The salt I was using before required weekly dosing to get the calcium levels up in the 400 range whereas the new salt I switched to has it over 420 now without a reactor or any dosing. All of the other levels were also at acceptable levels last weekend when I checked everything. It has the bonus of costing less than most of the others as well. (Actually less since I don't have to buy the 3 part doses, for now anyway)

When I tested last weekend:

PH 8.4 (Varies a little but I light my sump at night to keep it from changing much)

Ca 430

Kh 12.2

Mg 1260

Keep in mind I have only changed about a third of the water out over 6 weeks. To get really good figures it will take a few months.

I got tired of "consistent inconsistencies" between buckets of salt. Despite being anal about testing samples, my water parameters never tested out what bucket said they would.

Buckets settle, mixed ingredients separate...the top half of a bucket and bottom half usually ended up very different. Plus add in anti-caking agents, extra boron etc...prolonged aerating still never provided crystal clear saltwater I was looking for. Buckets first in line for filling different from those later on...

Then I decided to get real serious, move more towards ULNS (Zeovit) and went with "hand-made salt" from gettanked. See link below.

No anti-caking agents...no residues...crystal clear with parameters that are spot on every time...EVERY TIME!!!(rock2)

http://www.gettankedaquariums.com/index_file/Home.Product.List.Page.File/Home.Product.List.Page...htm

DrMerle

I looked for pricing and couldn't find it on the hand mix. I started using D-D salt and have done a total of 85 gal water change. The ca is 560 and alk 7. Not happy at all with the readings I was using oceanic for 5 years

I switched from Crystal Sea Marinemix to Kent a few months back and have been pretty happy with it. I can confirm that the results they have posted on that RC link are pretty consistent with my experience (for both salts), though there is a fair amount of variance from one batch to the next (with all salts from what I have heard). I make up decent sized batches (35-40g), so I don't think it's just a matter of having too small of a sample. See ranges below:

Ca: 390-520

Alk: 7-10

Mag: 1080-1280

That is over 5 batches of Kent salt from 2 different buckets. I am happier with the Kent than with the Marinemix, but may try out Seachem depending on local supply.

BTW - my worst batch of Marinemix, which prompted the switch, tested out with the following:

Ca: 260

Alk: 5.5

Mag: 900

I figured out what I would need to add for supplements and realized it would just be cheaper to buy a new bucket of salt!

Ocean Pure does come in a bucket however inside the bucket it actually has 3 separate bags so it should actually be less likely to separate out than for instance the Crystal Sea Marinemix which is a single bag inside a box. No experience with others so I don't know how they are packaged.

I used Reef Crystals for 3 years...never got consistency, now that I think about it...I always assumed I was too sloppy to get consistency....always had to "doctor" water, add this, add that to get parameters to come out where they were supposed to according to bucket.

Water barrel had brown residue, cloudy, slow disolving salt, despite heated water waiting with pump running and slow addition.

DrMerle

I've read that thread on RC about getting the brown residue, cloudy water etc with Reef Crystals. I'm on my 3rd bucket and have never seen that problem.

I did get that problem with:

Oceanic

Red Sea Coral Pro (if i let it sit for longer than 48 hrs otherwise crystal clear water)

IO

My worst experience was with regular IO.

CA: 200ppm

Alk: 3.8DKH

pH: 7.2

I have been using a 50\50 mix of Tropic Marin and Tropic Marin Pro Reef ever since I moved here from So Cal where I was using actual sea water. No BS. They pump it out from about 2 miles and it runs through some massive sand filter. We were getting it from SCRIPTS. They used it in their marine science lab. Anyway, as stated Tropic Marin here and zero issues with water. I do not dose....for anything.....EVER and get excellent results.

I have witnesses.

I looked for pricing and couldn't find it on the hand mix.

Id also like to know what the pricing is from get tanked.

Bob - do you know what the cost is for the 150 gallon kit?

I have been using Seachem Reef Salt and have very good luck. My calcium numbers are always good, and so far I can keep it up with only water changes. But Im always looking for something better, especially if the cost is nearly the same.

I'm on a rant now...stand back!!! I want to make up saltwater and say "yes, that is what I am paying for...parameters exactly in line with 1) what my tank needs and 2) exactly what I thought I was paying for!!!

Don't shout me down, good God Almighty!!!

DrMerle(wife)

Its just too much to ask!!! (laugh)