DIY fish food

Nate213

You can scale it down to whatever you need, I was just using my example. I can burn through 5#s in about 2-1/2 - 3 months. Overfeed & Overskim. :D

Yeah, a person could scale it down, however, I think it may be tough to buy a couple of ounces of this and a couple of ounces of that to come up with a pound of food in total. Depends on where/what you are buying, I guess, but I thought it might make sense to do a large (5-10 lb or more) batch and divy it up.

Hey Rick,

Can you give the amounts of the items on your list?

Would like to give this a try, but dont want to end up with to little or to much raw seafood in the fridge.

I added approx. amounts above now. In the next batch I'll go a little heavier with the seafood and a little lighter on the greens.

A quick update:

After using the mix I made for a week on the next batch I will reduce the amount of broccoli and spinach I use and also will reduce the garlic to 2 cloves. I'll add in more sea scallops or shrimp instead. On a side note all of my fish including the eel are crazy about this mix and the corals seem fine with it as well (a couple of them actually look a bit better than before but I'm not sure if it is due to the food or other changes I've made). Other than the above mentioned changes I'll mix it a little different to maintain some larger chunks. Over the next few weeks I'll be watching for color changes, etc. in the fish indicating a lack of nutrients and if I don't see any then I'll continue making my own food. They really seem to like it and it will cut the cost by about 1/2.