DIY fish food

Nate213

Does anyone else make their own fish food? I have been making my own for over a year with great results. I buy flash frozen or fresh raw seafood from the supermarket and blend it up with nori, selcon, and a few other ingredients. I dilute it with tank water or RO/DI water till it is like a thick paste. Then I pour the mix into 1 gallon freezer bags and flatten them out so they are about 1/2" thick and freeze flat on cookie sheets. After they are frozen, I cut it up into small squares and re-bag them.

The great thing is that you can tailor to your tank, more greens for tangs, or more meaty foods for aggressive tanks. I also throw in some oyster eggs or other supplements for corals. There are tons of online articles with recipes and such.

Im suprised that more locals dont do this. It is much less expensive than store-bought and you can control what goes into you tank. For my last couple of batches, I found some 2lb seafood mix from the supermarket on sale for about $4 a package. They had clams, squid, tiliapia, rock fish, scallops, halibut chunks and no unnatural added ingredients. I mixed with a package of nori, some garlic and a few squirts of Selcon. When I was all done, I had nearly 5 lbs of food for less than $12.

Where/what are you using for the garlic? Raw Garlic, Garlic Powder, Garlic from the LFS. etc. Broccoli and spinach also seem to be common ingredients.

Perhaps everyone could list the ingredients they know can be used (and what for) which could help us each tailor our own mix.

For instance:

Meaty Foods/Protein: Note: All should be raw/uncooked

Cocktail Shrimp

Shrimp

Crab

Imitation Crab (Check the ingredients first)

White Fish

Silversides

Scallops

Mysid Shrimp

Clam

Squid

Brine Shrimp (Note: Brine Shrimp is like popcorn, filling but with very little nutritional value)

Krill

Veggies:

Nori (Dried Sea Weed) (Note: Check asian food section at Safeway or LFS, Avoid roasted.)

Broccoli

Spinach

Macro Algae

Filter Feeders:

Oyster Feast

Rotifers

Phytoplankton

Oyster Eggs

Cyclops

Nutrition Supplements:

Selcon

Vita-Chem

Garlic (Note: Can use fresh garlic cloves and run them through a garlic press. Garlic helps trigger a feeding response)

If anyone has any alternative suggestions to get the same thing or suggestions on where to buy then toss them out as well. (Oyster Eggs instead of Oyster Feast but where do I buy it?, Nori from any place that sells Asian food but be sure it is not fried, etc.)

I made up some of my own just to get some bigger pieces for the larger fish, it seems they struggle to get enough of the small brine or mysis. I bought fresh shrimp and scallops a little water into the Magic Bullet, not to fine but good and chopped. I saved one of the cube trays from the last brine shrimp I used up and scooped the mix into the tray with a teaspoon, took maybe 5 min total. I like the idea of adding some nori and vitamins

The only nori I could find was roasted... Is that no good? It was at winco

I saw a post before not to use roasted, check your LFS most carry it or if you have a market or store with asian food you should be able to get it there. If all esle fails order it online its cheap

I think I would use RO/DI water rather than tank water as well. Any thoughts?

I just use tap water its only a few tablespoons i'm sure it not going to affect anything, I guess I could walk outside to the ATO and get ro/di but hey we are lazy (whistle)

Rick,

To answer some of you questions:

Some people use tank water, I did at first, but now I use RO/DI water. I think RO/DI water is safer.

I use only fresh garlic, and run a couple of cloves through the garlic squeezer before I add it to the mix.

I found dried (not roasted) nori in the asian foods section of Safeway.

Your ingredient list looks great and covers most of what I can think of. I have used thawed mysis & brine shrimp cubes in my mix, but it adds to the cost & most of my fish like the seafood chunks better.

JasonH

My suggestion for not ticking off the wife is to buy a $5 food processor or blender from the Goodwill or thrift store. I just explained to my wife that it is no different than making bean dip or anything else she cooks. It was all fresh seafood, nothing gross there. Cant help you with the lazy part, but I assure you that this is easy & well worth it. :D

....I think RO/DI water is safer.
I kind of thought the same thing. Tap water is probably okay as well but I think tank water may cause it to spoil faster. Whether or not it would make any difference I don't know.

....I use only fresh garlic' date=' and run a couple of cloves through the garlic squeezer before I add it to the mix.[/quote']Thanks, I'll add that to my shopping list.

....Your ingredient list looks great and covers most of what I can think of. I have used thawed mysis & brine shrimp cubes in my mix' date=' but it adds to the cost & most of my fish like the seafood chunks better.[/quote']

Thanks, I'll add brine with a note about the low nutritional value. I intend to follow this thread and update the list with any new ingredients that anyone can think of.

This sounds great, but I think it would take me a loooooong time to use up 5 lbs of tank food. Perhaps we should set up a meeting where several people pool a few bucks and we make up a batch together. Plus, we could add a small amount of the more expensive ingredients, like oyster eggs, and spread the cost. Anyone interested?

This sounds great' date=' but I think it would take me a loooooong time to use up 5 lbs of tank food. Perhaps we should set up a meeting where several people pool a few bucks and we make up a batch together. Plus, we could add a small amount of the more expensive ingredients, like oyster eggs, and spread the cost. Anyone interested?[/quote']

This dude's a genious!

I'm all for that idea. 5 lbs would probably be 5+ years worth for me.

5 lbs would probably be 5+ years worth for me.

You can scale it down to whatever you need, I was just using my example. I can burn through 5#s in about 2-1/2 - 3 months. Overfeed & Overskim. :D

I'm planning to mix up one or two batches tonight. Once I'm done I'll list the ingrediets and if anyone is interested I can figure out the cost and bring some to the BBQ this weekend.

First Rod's Food, and now Rick's Food. (laugh)

I have to say I have been VERY pleased with this. If any are interested in what I did and used I will be happy to show you. I am looking forward to my next batch as I have new ideas for the mix. Plus I have brilliant blender for those that are local to me. I might have an extra if someone needs one for this.

Okay, here is what my first batch consisted of.

Sea Scallops - 10 pcs

Cocktail Shrimp - 60 pcs

Imitation Crab (A variety of White Fish) 4 or 5 pcs

Nori - 5 sheets

Broccoli - 1/2 head

Spinach - 4 or 5 bunches

Mysis Cubes - 8 cubes

Rotifer Cubes - 8 cubes

Oyster Feast - 2 oz.

Garlic - 3 cloves

Vita-Chem - 60 drops

1/2 cup (approx.) of RO/DI water

The first batch turned out good (The fish went crazy when I put some in the tanks) however I will change a couple of things for the next batch. It blended up into a nice base which I am sure will be great for filter feeders and the smaller fish. It is lacking anything chunky for larger fish to eat though. In the next batch I will blend some of the meaty stuff up first but make sure it is left a bit chunky and remove it. The Rotifer Cubes, Mysis Cubes, and Oyster Feast I'll leave out entirely until the end. Then I'll mix the base up first with the veggie stuff etc. Once this is done then I will stir the meaty chunky stuff that is remaining in without blending it. I'll let the mixture set overnight in the fridge so the flavors will all mix together before freezing.