Snails and Crabs, hermits or otherwise!!

ClayTheSavageFraser

I like a good mix of snails Nassarius for the sand, trochus for the glass and rocks, ceriths for the glass. I personally try to avoid hermits unless they are th scarlet reef hermits, they cost more, but are the least aggressive. A few emerald crabs, and some peppermints would be a good place to start.

85 gallon, I have maybe a dozen Nassarius, 4 or 5 black nerrites, a few astreas. 2 Turbos in the sump (They were knocking stuff over so they were banished). I have maybe 8 hermits left in there. For the hermits I have a mix with my 3 favorites being the Electric Blue (My number 1 fav), scarlet and zebra. I haven't kept track of the rest (blue legs, red legs etc.) however I have slowly taken several out and put them in the sump or other tank. Primarily I did this whenever I found one near the corals. I also have a peppermint shrimp and 2 red fire shrimp. The pep for aptasia if it creaps up and the fire shrimp for cleaners. For the bottom I have a yellow head sleeper goby which keeps the sand pretty clean. Just added my Red Scooter Blenny as well. Note that while I chose to get a variety of hermits I would not necessarily advise doing so unless it is simply because you like them (Which was my reason). If it's just for cleaning I think I would skip them altogether. I've also had an Emerald Crab in the past but it was taken out when I caught it having a coral for dinner. For awhile it was in the sump and then it went in my Nano tank where the Electric Blue Hermit eventually made dinner of it while I was away over the 4th weekend. (Came home and the carapace was pulled open and he was chowing away)

I beefed up my crew several months ago and have been really pleased with the results. I had held off on spending much on janitors because, hey, I wanted more corals, fish, etc. But, now everything in the tank looks better. I have a variety of snails (nassarius, trochus, astrea, cerith, margarita, turbo, stomatella, plus misc hitchikers I haven't tried to identify) and a variety of hermits (blue-legged, striped, scarlet, etc). I'm with Bob - the scarlets are more expensive but worth it. They look great and seem to outlive other varieties. My next batch of hermits will probably be all or mostly scarlets.

I have some crabs that like to eat snails and I heard of some mowin on corals! I am trying to weed out the ones that do that! I am going to get more snails cause they do an awesome job on the inside of my display!! I will get more scarlets and see which hermits kill them cause I think the hermit wars go on and they are the casualties!!

Clay

I think there may be a couple of different green leg crabs where part of them are reef safe and part not. In searches I turned up claims both ways. I searched a good bit when I picked one up a few months ago. It ended up in the sump just to be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

GOT CRABS?

LOVIN' the scarlets. Yes, tubo snails are rough and seem to knock over a few things. Experimenting with super glue right now to keep it all in place and contrary to popular belief...it will stick your fingers together underwater. I have heard wearing a rubber glove for a day will release the aftermath much quicker. (nono)

I like a good mix of snails Nassarius for the sand' date=' trochus for the glass and rocks, ceriths for the glass. I personally try to avoid hermits unless they are th scarlet reef hermits, they cost more, but are the least aggressive. A few emerald crabs, and some peppermints would be a good place to start.[/quote']

I absolutely second this, though don't completely disregard hermits. They are uber important, just make sure they have lots of shells to move into.

LOVIN' the scarlets. Yes' date=' tubo snails are rough and seem to knock over a few things. Experimenting with super glue right now to keep it all in place and contrary to popular belief...it will stick your fingers together underwater. I have heard wearing a rubber glove for a day will release the aftermath much quicker. (nono)[/quote']

But if you're fingers are stuck together how do you get the glove on?DOH!

I recently posted up a thread about the shells I found at the dollar store. Here is a pic of what was left after I sorted them out and boiled them. The best I could get from the LFS was a few of them when I bought a bunch of hermits. None of them that I asked (Most) sell them. I stumbled on these at the dollar store one day though.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5707&stc=1&d=1251497185

post-5811-141867748161_thumb.jpg

I've had a couple use them although they are buried back behind the rocks so I'm not sure if they can even get to them now. Most of the hermits I have now are too big for them anyway. For the larger shells I found some at the beach in a tourist shop for 35 cents each.