Crabbing

cyenna

Went to Newport Bay, rented out a little boat but weren't as successful as we wanted to be. Realize now isn't prime time but we talked to people at the pier who caught the max that day. We used chicken with bone in, had four rings and one cage... ended up with only 5 Dungeness and like 7 or 8 red rock keepers.

Anyone got any advice?

I use mink and whatever goose/pheasent leftovers I have in the freezer. Sounds like you were still pulling crab so it's not all unsuccessful. I've had trips of 4-5 dungeness keepers per pot per tideshift and other times pots coming up with a few red rock only. Most of it probably depends on how much the area your in is being fished.

I always have the best luck with fish heads. I'll throw 2 rings and 2 cages in, 3 with fish heads and 1 with mink. The mink never has a single crap but the other 3 always do. I always crab from the docks though.

That said i went out about 6 weeks ago with all 4 pots and didn't get 1 single crab in 6 hours. Not even a rock crab or a single female. Drank a lot of beer though!

I hope i do better next weekend when we plan to try again.

BTW' date=' Chicken does work the best. Seals will get the fish heads but they leave the chicken alone. Mink works too, but you can buy chicken anywhere, the cheaper the better,[/quote']

Not when you use those cages to keep the fish heads in ;)

I'll have to give chicken a try next time.

Use chicken and Mackerel, I prefer the mack but you need to replace it more often, but I have less issues with sea lions with it. As for your luck its about finding the right spot and the right time of year. I usually start going 2-3 times a month starting in late september and I prefer (personal preference) to go at night.

Went Tuna fishing last friday ( tillamook bay ) set out 5 crab pots at the mouth with tuna heads as bait. Had over 150 with about 60 keepers including

about 8 monsters that were about 6 inches over legal.The captain said he had never caught that many before and he set's his traps a couple times a week.

Went Tuna fishing last friday ( tillamook bay ) set out 5 crab pots at the mouth with tuna heads as bait. Had over 150 with about 60 keepers including

about 8 monsters that were about 6 inches over legal.The captain said he had never caught that many before and he set's his traps a couple times a week.

NICE! Where did you get the tuna heads? How long did you leave the traps out for? Where in the bay? TELL ME YOUR SECRET!! (wife)(laugh)