Condylacts Gigantea

Hoss

Just picked this up yesterday from Seahorse. It immediately climbed onto the nearest rock and stayed there...so far no wandering. I fed it this morning, and it ate with no problem. I'm hoping it will host my clowns though I know it is not a natural hosting nem. Just wanted to show it off :D

CondylactisGigantea.jpg

Not just a non-natural host, but you are playing Russian roulette with trying to get your clowns to host in it. Sometimes the condy will eat the clowns.

Clownfish are from the south pacific. Condy anemones are from the Caribbean. They never meet in the wild, and condys will consider clownfish as food, just like any other fish that may wander too close.

I am glad that you are happy with the condy, it is just not an anemone that I would choose for my tank.

If you want your clowns to host something, a BTA would be a better choice. Even better would be one of the Euphyllia corals (torch, hammer, frogspawn). They look like anemones, and I have been able to get clowns to host them a couple of different times (both at home, and in the classroom tank).

If you want a BTA, there often come up for sale on this site for $30-50 for a rose, or $10-20 for a green. Waves was even having a sale on roses for $45 a week or two ago. If you want a BTA, send me a PM, I have some smaller ones, both rose and green, that I could sell you.

Good luck with the condy. :) BTW, did you cover any powerhead intakes? If not, you are asking for anemone soup in your tank. Read this to find out how...

http://www.freewebs.com/karenssaltwater/

Look down the left side for "cover powerheads" and follow those directions. It does not hurt to do the same thing to any inlet for a closed-loop or overflow as well.

dsoz

Thanks for all the advice. This was one of those impulse sort of buys and I read up on Condis last night...AFTER I bought it DOH!. I read every single post on reefcentral about these guys and I noticed that while everyone said that these anemones will eat clownfish, there really weren't any substantiated reports of it happening...In fact there were more reports with photographic evidence of clowns hosting in them than being eaten by them.

but, I have certainly been warned, and if this guy misbehaves even once I'll remove it. As it stands I like it. Not the most attractive anemone I've ever seen, but still, it's mine now.

I had one for a while that was pretty good size unfortunately and it never ate my clown although my clown fish calls a power head home most of the time. Good luck with it and do cover the powerheads. I came home one time to find the one that I had stuck to it and making some nice soup.