WTT corals for Good canister filter

CA2OR

I have a pretty good pack of corals I would like to trade for a good canister filter. I have a fluval 403 and I am just displeased with it. It is an old filter and there is no real way to verify it is sealed correctly until it starts leaking. Plus it seems to pull air from somewhere, which although it is kinda cool giving the appearance that waves are breaking somewhere, it can't be good for my tank. I am familiar with the XP3 from Rena but will entertain something equivalent from Fluval.

I would like to do this soon as I need to clean my canister and am very skeptical with putting the top back on this one without it leaking.

Will trade:

5xAOG's

approx 30 reverse gorilla nipples

1x3 head metallic hammer

ORA orange monti cap (about 2 inches)

a few Star of Sirus zoa's (in middle of pic not actual frag)

0524091223.jpg

a few brain mush zoa's

DSCF1330.jpg

and a few of these

downsized_0522091304.jpg

0524091218.jpg

and a few eagle eye's.

Depending on Filter you have and what all you have included will determine if you get all above.

Wish I had a canister filter... those are some good looking corals!!

The canisters are a decent option for those that do not run sumps for one reason or another. Since you have a sump already you can use any filtration a canister would provide or you can use biological filtration (Live Rock, Macro Algae, etc.) instead which is better anyway.

Snowpunk, the 205 wont be enough flow.

Wanareef, it is up to you. I don't really like backing out of deals. I have a couple problems though, first there is constriction on the hoses (big time) due to the pressure so I imagine I need to replace the ones I have with something stronger. Second, the first time I hooked it up after putting things in the chambers I had leaking big time. Took it apart and resealed the top and the leaking has stopped. The problem is that I wont know if it is sealed correctly until I hook it up again and see if it leaks. That is just something I don't wanna have to worry about every time I do maintenance on it. I had an XP3 before and never had any leak issues what so ever. However I did just hear of someone with leak issues on an XP3. Don't know how. But either way I am worried about that and the only thing I can think of is to get a different one. If you have a use for it that is fine. I would need another one before I can pull this one though as everything is plumbed through it now.

Do you have everything for it? How does it compare to the 403? Is it stronger?

Yes I have everything, (except the manual, but who uses instructions...lol). As I recall it is pretty close to the same flow rate as the 403. It is like 260 GPH and I think the 403 was like 300 GPH or something like that. It has 3 compartments for differant kind of filter media or live rock rubble or whatever you want. It seem to work really well on my tank. I just quit using it to try differant things.

btw, my XP3 leaks too. i dont know how to get it to stop. i just run it in my sump whenever i use it, which isn't that often. CA2OR, why do you want a canister? IMO they are a pain and not worth it. They are detritus traps. If you want to run carbon, make or buy a small cheap reactor, if you want the floss, just use a filter sock. I change my filter sock daily, and it works great. No detritus trapped in the system.

Snowpunk, the 205 wont be enough flow.

Wanareef, it is up to you. I don't really like backing out of deals. I have a couple problems though, first there is constriction on the hoses (big time) due to the pressure so I imagine I need to replace the ones I have with something stronger.

Sounds like you are trying to pull too much or there is a restriction, the top of the canister is labeled in and out make sure you have that connected.

Second, the first time I hooked it up after putting things in the chambers I had leaking big time. Took it apart and resealed the top and the leaking has stopped. The problem is that I wont know if it is sealed correctly until I hook it up again and see if it leaks. That is just something I don't wanna have to worry about every time I do maintenance on it.

The "O" ring is sometimes a PITA but with a little vasaline or silicone grease, the top cover will just slip on, then flip the locks, have to make sure the "O" is going down with the cover and inside the canister. The only time it leaks is if the "O" ring is not where it's suppose to be. Easy way to tell if it's not on correctly is to turn it sideways, it'll leak if not on correctly.

I had an XP3 before and never had any leak issues what so ever. However I did just hear of someone with leak issues on an XP3. Don't know how. But either way I am worried about that and the only thing I can think of is to get a different one. If you have a use for it that is fine. I would need another one before I can pull this one though as everything is plumbed through it now.

I can come over and take a look see if you want, maybe think of something else.