Shimmming the stand?

siskiou

Since this question is kind of getting buried in the "Drilling acrylic with regular drill bit?" thread, I'm opening a new one to continue the issue.

To recap, the back of my tank/stand is 3/8" lower than the front (tank is still empty) and I was going to shim along the back and sides to get everything even.

While reading up on this, I came across the following:

Myth #15: "My floor is deflecting so I better put shims under it to make it level."

Okay, this one might or might not have some truth to it. If your floor is flat but sloping, then it just doesn't matter structurally if the water level is higher at one end of the aquarium than it is at the other end. Now if one of the four corners of your aquarium stand is lower or higher than the other three corners then it could be a big problem. That could put a torsional (twisting) load into the glass tank which could break the glass or the seal at an edge/corner of the glass.

from this website: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html

Now, is this correct and am I understanding correctly that as long as all sides are touching the ground, I *don't* need to shim? Even though the waterline would be lower up front than in the back?

just doesnt seem right to me....i agree that having a corner loaded will be the biggest problem but how can having all that added pressure on the front 2 not have any affect...i would shim it...especially since you caught it before water is added...i guess i always strive for perfection

yo can go to home depot and pick up a strip off wood(dont now proper name.... its like 60 x 1 1/4 x3/8 .. and cut the lenght to fit your tank...and stick it under the length of the back of your stand.....HTH

this is how i shimmed my 100g tank, and its been fine for the last five years at this location

yo can go to home depot and pick up a strip off wood(dont now proper name.... its like 60 x 1 1/4 x3/8 .. and cut the lenght to fit your tank...and stick it under the length of the back of your stand.....HTH

this is how i shimmed my 100g tank, and its been fine for the last five years at this location

Did you just put a strip under the back?

wHAT ABOUT THE SIDE GAP?

This is a pic of it inside the stand:

P1030182.jpg

Ok, so there is a floor in the stand. I would still go with full lenth shimms, F to B about every 6 to 8 inches. This will eliminate the one board across the back, and the angle of "that" board. It will keep any possible worping, of the bottom, ( remember free floating from point a to B= F to B). Your call.

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that the floor itself doesn't touch the ground.

The only thing that does is the outside frame of the stand (the perimeter).

Could I potentially use just part of a full length shim (the higher part in the back and the thinnest part up front) for all shims except the two sides that touch the ground all the way?

Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Thanks!

Just keep in mind that the floor itself doesn't touch the ground.

The only thing that does is the outside frame of the stand (the perimeter).

Could I potentially use just part of a full length shim (the higher part in the back and the thinnest part up front) for all shims except the two sides that touch the ground all the way?

Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Yes your clear, and yes you can, out side edges. Strip across back, yes. Just remember about the angel, of raised tank, at back, and straight board at back angle. forgot center was NOT on floor