ok ok, now its time for lighting

gopens

Well for those who have been following me today. i think i have fixed my skimmer loudness problem, or so i hope. Now that i have water running, i need to get some ideas about lights. so i know i need to know what i am going to put in it, so let me explain my problem.

I want to do your common fish (tang, clownfish, critters and what not). i alos plan on a few months down the road adding a few soft corrals, maybe 4-5 to add color. Its not going to have 35 corals like some have in there tank. Which does look cool, but thats for my next setup this spring (fingers). my aquarium is a 80gl bow front. My friend has a 4 bulb set up in his 80 gl but does not have a metal halide (sp?). he said it would not fit. but i like the look of the 4 bulbs in his tank. my question is can i add the 4, 4 foot bulbs now in my tank, than add the MH later? i don't think i will be able to. So do you think a 2 bulb set up would work now, than add the MH in a dew months. also i am looking at ordering my lights tonight via website, so if anybody can recommend a brand and maybe even a model number that would be awesome. this whole thing is finally coming together. but now i am broke. thanks to all for there help. i am snapping shots of this procedure and will show them shortly

I'm going to have a 2X250 watt PFO ballast with cords and sockets up for sale soon. I am upgrading to 400 watt PFO's.

AQ2.jpg

Here is a pic of the type of ballast I have. You can find info at:

http://www.pfolighting.com

This would give you 2 - 250 watt Metal Halides over you 80 gallon bow. I had this over my 72 bow and it was plenty. The 400 watters might put out too much heat unless you have a chiller.

PM me if interested.

Jay

to be honest i am not exactly sure. i would say close to 30-34 inches..

Now don't even tell me ya have no tape, for what you do!!!!! 30-34 is custom tall, get it from bottom tanh frame to same on top. Both of mine are 30" T But again, not normal( ok i set myself up with that last statement, no comments needed)

Now don't even tell me ya have no tape' date=' for what you do!!!!! 30-34 is custom tall, get it from bottom tanh frame to same on top. Both of mine are 30" T But again, not normal( ok i set myself up with that last statement, no comments needed)[/quote']

lol, oh i have tons of tapes, but i am at my moms for dinner right now. you might be right, 30 inches might be a bit high. but i was measuring from the bottom of my tank to were the lights would be hanging from on my hood (wich is about 10-12 inches above water). so if i am understand this correct, i might not even need a MH. i can just run some good normal lights? but don't the MH make everything really stand out in the tank...

Haven't done any testing, I think Rich is the guy to ask, I have read ALOT about them, and for a new system, VHO or T-5... i'd use T-5... just more options, more light. I'm going to use them as supplement for my 2x250 PFO on my 72... by the way Gopens... did you have a custom bow built or something... I thought that it went 46, 72, and then way too big for my house :) if you have the same tank as me, its a 72... 48"x12"x26"

Haven't done any testing' date=' I think Rich is the guy to ask, I have read ALOT about them, and for a new system, VHO or T-5... i'd use T-5... just more options, more light. I'm going to use them as supplement for my 2x250 PFO on my 72... by the way Gopens... did you have a custom bow built or something... I thought that it went 46, 72, and then way too big for my house :) if you have the same tank as me, its a 72... 48"x12"x26"[/quote']

mine is an 80 gl. well atleast that is what pet country is selling them as, lol. but i am sure it is because it took almost 100 gallons of water to fill (with the sump). so hopefully i didn't get screwed.

I couldn't believe the deal i got today. i was looking at buying some LR on ebay today. when i came across a guys auction that had it for 2.30 a pound. i thought that was a good deal, being i have seen it for 5.00+ dollars a pound. then of course the shipping would be 50.00+. I was getting ready to order some when i noticed he was from grants pass, oregon. WOW, that were i am from. so i called him, and he said to come on over. all my pieces are cured accept 1 little piece. tons of awesome colors on the rocks. oh and the best part. no shipping charge and no die-off... so it should be cycling pretty well right now with the LR and the live sand. what temp are you guys and gals keeping your tank at. i have heard around 76, but i have also heard 80. mine is currently at 79. anyways, i think the tank is looking good...

DSCN0393.jpg

yeah that pic doesn't really show how awesome the tank is doing. the water was still cloudy from mix around the rock and sand. thanks for the replys on the recommended tem. no the salt level question. what is the best level. my meter show a bracket between .021 and .023. now i have been told to go even higher like .024 and i have even heard .025. whats your thoughts on this...