New Quarantine Tank

wanareef

Something I wanted with the first tank, but had no room. Just finished this little cube about 12" square w/an Eurobrace - not really needed since it will never be full.

Not sure how to run it, maybe use a canister filter with nothing in it for circulation - or add floss and GAC. Probably have the filter hooked up low for the feed and high for the return from the canister. Or if more flow is needed a PH can be installed on the top brace. Also have the option of a egg crate for the bottom if there are a bunch of newly aquired frags.

Here are some pix's just waiting for the Uniseals for the hook-up

post-77-141867776966_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867776969_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867776971_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867776975_thumb.jpg

Thank you

If the group needs a frag tank for the corals farmers market, I can make a little bigger one maybe 24"l x 24"w x 10"h or bigger :confused: :confused: and donate it also I have a pattern for the LumenBright 3, untested as yet and can donate that, I'm sure lots of us have extra pumps around and just borrow it for the day for the tank, as well as an AGA for a sump, skimmer and so on.

Everything is just "borrowed" for the day and goes back to the owner.

What do you guy's think?

I wouldn't suggest trying to build a tank inside a stand that can't be removed. If it happens to leak after assembly then you would have a hard time repairing the leak and removing it later would be difficult. Can the stand be modified to make it so a sump can be put in after it's assembled? The stand for the 60 Gal. tank I was originally using has a small door (12" wide) however I was able to remove a board on each side of it to make the open area about twice this. If I would have kept this stand/tank then I would have built 2 doors to allow room to put a sump in the stand. (I went with a different tank/stand so I reassembled the stand the way it was originally)

Is the rear side open? What is the construction of the stand above the center support. I was worried about removing the supporting boards as well however after looking at it closely I could see that the rear had quite a bit less support than the front did. Basically flat 1 x 4's with 1 x 6's edgewise on the ends. Or approx. 3 ft. of length where the only support is the flat 1 x 4. After seeing this I went ahead and removed 4 boards (2 on each side) The original opening was 10" and afterwards was 29". It was like this for 4 or 5 days before I started tearing down the tank to swap to the new one. Note: When removing the boards I was careful to pry them loose rather than pounding on them. I figured pounding on them may cause enough shock that the pressure from above could bust the supporting 1 x 4.

One last note: It's on your head if you decide to take the center support out either temporarily or permanently. (Hopefully not literally) You will need to assess the construction yourself to decide if you feel comfortable doing this.

I have looked it over a bit and I think it would probably be ok I just haven't done it

I thought it over for 3 or 4 weeks as well myself. It was a bit scary when I started pulling boards loose. I finally got tired of looking at the ugly sump and plumbing next to the stand though.

• 2 weeks later...

If the tank is an all glass one the center support is not even needed. The tank is supported by the frame at the perimeter. I have a 75g all glass and I removed the center support to get the sump in and then put it back in. All the center support on my stand really does is give the 2 doors some place to stop at :)

Dave