Aqua C "EV" Skimmers?

downhill_biker

I am getting a new skimmer friday. One of the members here in Utah is getting rid of the Aqua C EV 1000 Skimmer and I am going to pick it up, most likely. Does anyone know how good these are? Anyone know if "spray injectors" are a good method of getting air in the water? Good design?

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~action~view~idProduct~AC1231~idCategory~FIPSISSIOT~category~Over_350_Gallons-Spray_Injection-In_Sump_Skimmers-Protein_Skimmers-Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies~vendor~.html

Any info helps.

Do you know how the spray injector works? Am I going to have to give this thing a full 1500gph to get it to work properly? (Thats what the recommended iwaki 70 puts out). The barracuda should be able to do that, along with the display return, and hopefully the frag tank return, but that is starting to spread pretty thin.

The injector is a piece of pipe that is crimped on the outlet to create a kind of "jet" stream. Like putting your finger over the end of the garden hose to make it squirt further. This is VERY simple technology. I owned a remora hang on skimmer and also owned an EV-180 skimmer before. Never had much luck with either. From reports I have read, people either love 'em or hate 'em. They are however, built extremely well. They look really nice. YMMV.

Dennis

these do want pressure rated pumps, especially on the larger models, which is why it wants that iwaki 70. you could save some money on a blue line if your current pump won't properly drive it.

So I got the skimmer friday, and this think is a beast. I tried to hook it up, but the main piece was gone...the injector. The person that sold it to me had put a 1" pvc pipe to 3/4" threaded adapter in there, but it wasn't the spray nozzle. I have Lowman looking for a replacement part for me, but for now I have a DIY spray nozzle. I found a local reefer that had one of the "EV" series skimmers and I went and saw his, and then made my own. I took a piece of 1/2" pvc pipe heated it up and crimped the end making a "Y" shape opening, about 1/8" wide. This is basically what his spray nozzle looked like. I must say, this skimmer FREAKING ROCKS!!! I cant believe how many bubbles and foam I am getting. I will probably buy a "real" part, but thought I would share my makeshift spray injector.