a little help

gopens

ok, with the help of many on here, i think i have figured out how to set up a tank i.e. skimmers, sumps, and pumps. now i have been thinking of fish and coral for the tank. i think i am going to go with a lionfish and a angelfish or a tang (the chart i have says these would work together, but if you know different, plese let me know). now the coral. can you mix up just about corals or is there ones that can't be with others. also i know that angelfish like some coral, but what ones will they not eat. thanks

ok' date=' with the help of many on here, i think i have figured out how to set up a tank i.e. skimmers, sumps, and pumps. now i have been thinking of fish and coral for the tank. i think i am going to go with a lionfish and a angelfish or a tang (the chart i have says these would work together, but if you know different, plese let me know). now the coral. can you mix up just about corals or is there ones that can't be with others. also i know that angelfish like some coral, but what ones will they not eat. thanks[/quote']

First and foremost, way to go with searching and reasearching before jumping into dark water head first (laugh) ....

Well since this is your first tank...I would hold off on the coral and get a feel for just having some fish. I would not for a lion at first, just because they will eat anything they can get in their mouths...I would get the tank going, and visit a bunch of LFS and look at all the different fish that you like, if you still like the bigger fish, then get the lion fish, cause he will not be able to eat an angle or a good sized tang.

As for the coral..Coral require alot more "fine tuning" and maitence to take care...Do you have an idea of what kind of coral you want to keep? This will give us a better idea of what can be kept...Soft coral and Stony coral is not recommened to keep in the same tank, you can and people do it, but it is in moderation. Again, I would visit local fish stores, especially upscales to get a really good idea of what an amazing SPS tank will look like and if that is a route you want to go...

Once you have deicided what type of coral you want to go with, this will really help us help you out...

What size tank are you planning on having.

Plus, you will have your hands in the tank alot setting, moving corals, Lions can "STING" you. It's pritty cool how much you have picked up in 2 days :) Did you happen to look at that WWW. I gave you? Frags for loans. I'm sure we could figure somethin out LOL

Plus' date=' you will have your hands in the tank alot setting, moving corals, Lions can "STING" you. It's pritty cool how much you have picked up in 2 days :) Did you happen to look at that WWW. I gave you? Frags for loans. I'm sure we could figure somethin out LOL[/quote']

Frags for loan? is this a site or something you are doing for him?

First and foremost, way to go with searching and reasearching before jumping into dark water head first (laugh) ....

Well since this is your first tank...I would hold off on the coral and get a feel for just having some fish. I would not for a lion at first, just because they will eat anything they can get in their mouths...I would get the tank going, and visit a bunch of LFS and look at all the different fish that you like, if you still like the bigger fish, then get the lion fish, cause he will not be able to eat an angle or a good sized tang.

As for the coral..Coral require alot more "fine tuning" and maitence to take care...Do you have an idea of what kind of coral you want to keep? This will give us a better idea of what can be kept...Soft coral and Stony coral is not recommened to keep in the same tank, you can and people do it, but it is in moderation. Again, I would visit local fish stores, especially upscales to get a really good idea of what an amazing SPS tank will look like and if that is a route you want to go...

Once you have deicided what type of coral you want to go with, this will really help us help you out...

What size tank are you planning on having.

well i just got an 80gl bow front. and as far as coral go, i am only looking at maybe 3 or 4 in my tank. nothing to over powering. and as far as what kind i want, i am not really sure. i know i like the soft flowing ones with glowing looking tips. i like those. can anybody recommend a nice sized fish, that has some really cool colors, but at the same time, i can put other smaller fish in with the bigger show piece fish. and that bigger fish needs to not like coral. thanks for the help pros...

well i just got an 80gl bow front. and as far as coral go' date=' i am only looking at maybe 3 or 4 in my tank. nothing to over powering. and as far as what kind i want, i am not really sure. i know i like the soft flowing ones with glowing looking tips. i like those. can anybody recommend a nice sized fish, that has some really cool colors, but at the same time, i can put other smaller fish in with the bigger show piece fish. and that bigger fish needs to not like coral. thanks for the help pros...[/quote']

Well it sounds like you want softies, but I am not a softy guy, so I am not sure of all what ones have glowing tips...But if you are going softies...they are the easiest coral to care for IMHO...So you should have no problem with that at all...

A good size fish for an 80... would be the smaller tangs...unless you get a smaller angle..most angles will out grow this tank...

But there are some very pretty angles, potter's angle, flame angle are two of my favorite. There are also some really cool tangs...chevron (pricey), kole, orange finned...

I would highly suggest looking at www.liveaquaria.com and chekcing out there saltwater fish, they have great pics and good basic info on what size tank they should go in...there suggestions are not live and die, but they give you a good idea of what can go in what size tank.

Plus' date=' you will have your hands in the tank alot setting, moving corals, Lions can "STING" you. It's pritty cool how much you have picked up in 2 days :) Did you happen to look at that WWW. I gave you? Frags for loans. I'm sure we could figure somethin out LOL[/quote']

i did check them out, and all the sites i have been reading is very helpful. sometimes overwhelming, but good help. and thanks again ccr for your phone call conversation yesterday...very cool of ya. and frags for loans, well now were talking, lol....

A very beautiful and easy first fish would be a Yellow Tailed blue Tang. It won't outgrow your system' date=' and in my experience it is one of the easier tangs to care for.[/quote']

a yellow-tailed blue tang...some people think they will outgrow an 80 gallon at some point...these things get pretty big.

Most tangs is tough to take care of, due to them being so prone to ich.

Cool fish

Orange Shoulder Tangs are pretty cool, I had a fuzzy dwarf lion mixed in with my reef and he did fine, accept the fact you cant put little fish or shrimp in there or they will be a spendy treat for your lion. Tangs are cool, they keep your system clean and are very hearty fish. Angle fish are risky, especially if your thinking corals. They love to eat polyps i hear but they are awsome fish to look at. Foxface/ Rabbitfish are pretty good fish in keeping your algea under control. My buddy has an awsome naso tang that pretty much acts as the leader of his crew. Hes the smallest in there but everyone schools with it. Plus they are people friendly, at least this guy is, the naso lets us touch it or pet it, its pretty cool to show people. anyways i hope this helps lata