Salt Study

Chief

Looking for interest in doing our own salt study. I have read many salt studies, but they never seem to be studying the salt that I am using. Currently I am using OceanPure and I haven't seen a study on it yet. There are some new salts out there that would benefit from this also.

Here is the only catch. To perform a good salt study all the tests would have to be on the same platform. Every test would have to use the same kind of test kits. So this is how I would like to start this thread...

What brand of salt do you use and what test kits are you using. Also how are you measuring salinity? Tempurature?

I'll go first:

OceanPure salt

Salifert test kits for Alk and Calc

Hagen Master test kits for everything else ( waiting for them to dry up and buy Salifert )

Refractometer

regular glass thermometer

Jay

instant ocean or reef crystals....i see alot of people are using oceanpure...never heard of it...i have never had any probs with IO...has anyone else...

salifert test kits....although i like seachem reef status too. for cal, alk, mag

miluakee refractometer

temp controller and extra little digital thermometer

I don't have any money but my master bedroom is now the fish room and i would be willing to donate space to the project if you decide to go through with it. I am also just about to sign another year lease.

I also have r/o, a refractometer, and may have enough whisper HOB filters to run 5-6 tanks (10g i assume)

Definitely not a major salt study here. I would just like to get some levels on some of the salts that I never see in the big salt studies. Every study has the big names in salt. I don't want to exclude them and they should be there for comparison. Ideally this should be in a controlled setting that could be duplicated. But I would also be interested in how different test kits test the same batch of water. We will have to see if this is going to be feasible. I am just gauging interest now. Thanks for stepping up to the plate Ryan. Maybe we can get this study off the ground.

Jay

I have a 6' shelving unit with 3 shelves. We can split up the maintenance duties but the question is how in depth do we want to go and are we planning on including livestock? I have a computer and the office suite and can throw together an excel sheet for the numbers and analysis. we should probably get together a list of what we want to find in the end.

J what about this.

If we can get members to bring a small portion of their salt to a meeting and get someone to bring a refractometer, have a small 10 gallon tank of RO water at temp, and maybe get LFS to donate test kits. We could test them all right there after being made up. Betcha Roger might even do it as a class project if we supplied the materials.

Just a thought

As a bonus we would helping out with education too.

J what about this.

If we can get members to bring a small portion of their salt to a meeting and get someone to bring a refractometer, have a small 10 gallon tank of RO water at temp, and maybe get LFS to donate test kits. We could test them all right there after being made up. Betcha Roger might even do it as a class project if we supplied the materials.

Just a thought

As a bonus we would helping out with education too.

I like that. I'll run it past Roger and see what he thinks. It would make a great class project. We could post the results in the educational portion of the site and write an article on the results. Nothing too fancy. I think many reefers would like to know the levels of some of the lesser known salts and how they compare to the more well known brands.

Jay