help me set up my MH

finch6013

Looking to make use of my new metal halide balast. I have no idea what direction to go with it as I have never owned metal halide. balast is a blue wave dual 250w HQI. What else I need is two reflectors, sockets, and cord. If anyone wants to help me out on aquiring these things at a GREAT price let me know. Open to any advise, and DIY ideas to cut cost.

Their is also a couple of stores that sell used gear also. I think Rose City and Waves for sure and maybe others too. If you have to buy new it sounds like from word of mouth that bob(Lowman) is being very good with pricing on many things. I don't know if he even sells them but he probably does. May be worth sending him a PM just to see, he is a great guy and seems to love to help a fellow reefer.

In other news: I just realized I became a shark! Wahoo!!! Yeah for me! (dancing)

ok sorry back to topic

First all you need to decide if you want to do Single Ended or Double Ended bulbs. I think you can only run Single Ended radium with an hqi ballast. Radiums on hqi ballast are really nice looking on any tank. All you need is reflectors and Single Ended socket with sunlight supply cords. With Double Ended bulbs you will need to buy the same but also need UV PROTECTED TEMPERED GLASS. Also hqi burn a little hot and may need fans and a chiller to keep tank from overheating. This will all depend on what size of tank you have. It also depends if you are using a canopy or not. It is much simpler with T5’s but hqi make lighting so much better. I’ve been doing a lot of research because in thinking switch to hqi from T5’s. I think it’s much more expensive to run hqi’s, chiller and fans. If you can afford it you and your corals will be happier. I hope this helps you out. Congratulation on your prize!!(clap)

Hello, I'm an idiot. I didn't even put 2 and 2 together. You were the one that won the ballast...lol... I was the guy in the back that kept winning for everyone else I bought tickets for. I didn't get a chance to introduce my self... Just for comparison, I run dual 400w MH that are single ended(se not de) on my 75g with only one fan at each end of my hood. One fan blows in, and one fan blows out to keep a flow through. I have a chiller but have never seen a need for it. I also don't run a heater. It is ok to let the water change temps a little so just keep an eye on it. I think tert is right about needing to be a SE bulb. If someone could post up the DIY reflector link/thread that would really help...

I personally run both SE and DE. I am a big fan of the SE for several reasons. The bulbs are easier to find typically, they have built in UV shielding, the moguls are easier to find though I have easily found DE recepticles, and SE radiums look way cool powered by and hqi ballast!

I have also run 400w xm 20k SE bulbs on hqi ballasts and had great luck. I have heard others have not and am not sure about the 250w hqi running xm SE's.

Going the single ended route:

Waves has some nice reflectors for $30 each and has moguls for $15 each I belied. You could also probably get the connectors for the ballast there or just buy the moguls that are from sunlight supply that have the connectors built in. I think those are around $30 each. Pretty much all you need after that is a couple of bulbs of your choosing and you are set. I personally like the radium 20k's and xm 20k's though I have heard great things about several other brands.

Garrett

I run 3 SE bulbs on 250w HQI ballasts. I have run Radiums, Coralvues, XM, Aqua Connect, Helios, Hamiltons and probably several others. I have only had problems with the Hamilton 14k, it cracked at only 1.5 months use. I have not had any problems with color shifting even on the non-HQI rated bulbs. I just recently put back in an XM 10K that has 18 months of use on it. It doesn't visually look any different than my 4 month old XM. BTW, Radiums do look very nice on this ballast.

I'm wondering are you guys(garrettm85 & ocboat) using the blue wave ballast or are you using electronic ballast. I know that most electronic ballast can run all mogul-based & double-ended metal halide lamps, like the Galaxy ballst from Sunlight Supply. If not, what non-electronic ballast are you using to run SE that is a hqi ballast?

Are the 20k radiums very blue? Do they put out good light or do I need to supplement them with something? Also with this do I need UV shielded glass?

I run 400w radiums on PFO HQI ballasts.

Not blue at all. A very clean white with a hint of blue.

I'm using a dual Sunlight Supply M80 and a single PFO M80 ballast. Both of these are non-electronic, true magnetic HQI ballasts.

I'm wondering are you guys(garrettm85 & ocboat) using the blue wave ballast or are you using electronic ballast. I know that most electronic ballast can run all mogul-based & double-ended metal halide lamps' date=' like the Galaxy ballst from Sunlight Supply. If not, what non-electronic ballast are you using to run SE that is a hqi ballast?[/quote']

Finch, Since were both in Oregon City, you are welcome to come over and check out my lights. I currently have one Radium flanked by two XM 10k bulbs but can change out the XM's for an older radium and some other 20k so you can get an idea of what to expect. Also, you do not need any additional shielding with any of the single ended bulbs and the 250's are bluer than the 400's on HQI ballasts.

Finch

balast is a blue wave dual 250w HQI You can burn SE bulbs but it'll "over drive" them aka/ shorten the life span but get really bright light. I did this with Iwaiki 65k bulbs brighter than yellow.

An HQI ballast is for DE bulbs "only"

If your handy at making stuff you can do this

Actually an HQI ballast is meant to run HQI rated bulbs. All DE bulbs are HQI rated as far as I know, but there are a lot of SE bulbs that are also HQI rated. Radiums, Ushio, AB, Aqua Connect are all SE bulbs that are meant to be fired on HQI ballasts. I have also read a lot about the shorter life span of non-HQI SE bulbs but I have not experienced it myself.

Edit: I'm talking 250w bulbs. I'm not sure about ballast bulb combos on other wattages.

Finch

balast is a blue wave dual 250w HQI You can burn SE bulbs but it'll "over drive" them aka/ shorten the life span but get really bright light. I did this with Iwaiki 65k bulbs brighter than yellow.

An HQI ballast is for DE bulbs "only"

If your handy at making stuff you can do this

I am pretty hand with metal. I used to be a tin bender for a few years. I might make my own. Another member offered me a basic canopy with basic reflectors at a good price. I am thinking of going that route, but the DIY reflectors would be much better.