Pump Question

downhill_biker

So why is it that we have to buy "aquarium" pumps that are $200' date=' $300, $400 and up for returns, instead of using a pump from Home Depot that costs $80?[/quote']

Interesting question Curtis... is it free of internal metal parts? Perhaps I need to take a closer look next time I'm there...

the seals ad tank safe lubricants are the main difference i think, most modern high flow pumps started out as pool and spa pumps. Maybe marine grade bilge pumps would work as they are designed to not corrode, but that may not necessarily be a cheaper route to go.

i am not sure what the internals are like. i would imagine you could make a stainless steel shaft if the original shaft was something else. but i am sure they dont want these to corrode anyways, so it probably already is stainless steel.

lubricant? as for the electric motor lubricants? that should be sealed anyways, right?

• 2 weeks later...
My only concern is how much heat they may put off

Bingo - heat is why they wouldn't work well for a full time aquarium pump. I have a sump pump from HD (the smallest model for like $65) for mixing and for pumping my topoff water to the tank (from the basement to the main floor). I chose it because it had enough head room to get the water up as far as I wanted, and because it was cheap. It has worked great for me for over a year, but when I am mixing my saltwater, it can really heat up. If I leave it mixing for 24 hrs straight, it will get the water in my 45g trash can up to over 90 degrees (from about 60-65 with no heater). So I have to time things well to keep it at the right temp.

Most sump pumps you will find at hardware stores are not made for continued use. They are not very efficint and will end up costing you more in the long run. Pool and hot tub pumps on the other hand are often the identical pump with a different sticker.

Marketing!!! Its the American way. Make something, then market it as you intended. But if you find it also works for a specific hobby.....CHA CHING!!!!!!!! Mark it up 300%, slap some fancy wording on it, put a pic of clown fish and you have hit bank my friend.

I'm using a pond pump for my mixing water. I got it for $13. I could by the exact same thing made for aquarium use and its $75. Nothing is different between the 2 at all.

Its like this with so many things. Sand for instance. $20+ for 10lbs of sand that is for aquarium use. OR buy 50lbs of southdown for $8 and ignore the sticker that says not for aquarium use. Huh, 4 years using southdown for me and no problems.

They don't sell it anymore at HD or Lowes. I got it from that LFS in salem that closed a little while back. But it was seriously 8 bucks at HD or lowes. Southdown was bought out by Old Castle i believe. You can still buy 50lbs bags of aragonite sand made by Old Castle though. It might be up to 10 bucks a bag

Marketing!!! Its the American way. Make something, then market it as you intended. But if you find it also works for a specific hobby.....CHA CHING!!!!!!!! Mark it up 300%, slap some fancy wording on it, put a pic of clown fish and you have hit bank my friend.

I'm using a pond pump for my mixing water. I got it for $13. I could by the exact same thing made for aquarium use and its $75. Nothing is different between the 2 at all.

Its like this with so many things. Sand for instance. $20+ for 10lbs of sand that is for aquarium use. OR buy 50lbs of southdown for $8 and ignore the sticker that says not for aquarium use. Huh, 4 years using southdown for me and no problems.

Miles does for mixing water anyway. He might be able to answer that.

how do you like it? Any heat coming from it more than any other pump?

No more heat than a typical pump. All plastic, ceramic shaft. The only thing i don't like is that I lay it on its side in my mixing tub and it likes to flip over so that the outlet is pointing straight down and cannot run right since its being blocked by the bottom of the tub. I'm going to just add a small fitting on the output so that it can't lay flat like that anymore.