ATO pump Question, which one?

Rugbyfish

Ok, so if I am setting up an ATO system from the resevior, any suggestions on a pump? I was thinking about using the smallest diameter hose from the resevior to the sump, but the hose has to run from the garage, into the crawl space, and into the fishtank room.

I had seen pumps called water lifter (see link), but I am concerned this will not be able to move the water far enough (it needs to travel 5' vertically and 20 feet horizontally.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~OE1137.html

Any suggestions? Sure, I could use a powerhead, but I am trying to keep the diameter of the hose as small as possible.

I'm using an aqualifter and the 5 feet vertical will definitely be a problem, in my opinion!

For my second tank, I have a small powerhead set up, starting with the size hose that fit's on the powerhead outlet, and then reduced to airline. It has been working fine for many months, but I'm not sure if the back pressure from reducing the hose shortens the lifespan of the pump in the long run.

Are you using a float switch or a float valve? Or just a timer?

Try a maxi 1200 thats what i use, you can use different tubing to reduce or 1/2 tubing will fit on the maxi and slip it onto a 1/4" quick connect fitting. Then run 1/4 tubing or smaller to the sump. if you go "up" and then over you will have to figure out a way to stop the siphon back or figure it into your time to fill with an empty line. If you run it thru any type of reactor you will need a siphon break or it will drain all back into your resevoir.

I have several maxi's if you want to try it out

If you want to spend some $$ then the Litermeter III is the way to go

I'm using an aqualifter and the 5 feet vertical will definitely be a problem, in my opinion!

For my second tank, I have a small powerhead set up, starting with the size hose that fit's on the powerhead outlet, and then reduced to airline. It has been working fine for many months, but I'm not sure if the back pressure from reducing the hose shortens the lifespan of the pump in the long run.

Are you using a float switch or a float valve? Or just a timer?

I am using a float switch with a second switch as a backup. This one, to be exact: http://www.autotopoff.com/products/DS1/

Thank you for your feedback on the pump selection.